Chapter 87: Unable to Bear

It was a rare snowstorm that was unseen in the last decades in the Ding capital but on the second day, it abruptly stopped. The thick snow piled up till one's knees and in such a cold weather like this, even the most diligent traders would prefer to bury themselves in their warm beds rather than risking the cold to set up the stall.

It was the person who was sounding the night watch that had missed the timing and hastily got up with the gong. The sun had yet to rise and the skies were not lit but he tightened the worn out jacket on his back and stepped into the snow. In a steady pace, he passed the main doors of Prince Yu residence.

The main doors of Prince Yu residence were slightly opened with a slight seam and there was only half of the word 'Joyous' on the door. The old man that sounded the night watch did not see a single guard and his heart whispered. The people of Prince Yu residence were extremely fierce and evil, and he had been scolded by them many a times but it was strange not to see them today. After seeing half the 'Joyous' word, suddenly he realized. Yesterday was the day of Prince Yu residence welcoming the Wangfei to the residence so probably the guards were also rewarded with food and drinks and became drunk.

Thinking of the future of that Young Lady who was married into Prince Yu residence, the old man shook his head and was about to walk pass the main doors of the residence of Prince Yu of the First Rank. Coincidentally a cold wind blew out making the heavy door to squeak and the black slit to widen. The old person who sounded the night watch could not help but be surprised. The door squeaked and slightly shook, and unknowingly, he suddenly had a strange feeling coming from his heart. He also did not know how this feeling was formed, so he stood at the door for a long time until a hawker who was out and about saw him and greeted, "Old Fourth Lee, what are you doing at the door?"

The person who sounded the night watch's heart jumped and suddenly understood what the strange feeling was. In the broad daylight, no matter how ferociously drunk one was last night, how would there be no sounds from the residence at all? Even if everyone were drunk and fast asleep, there would be still dogs or pet birds but there was nothing. The air was dead, as if it was a grave.

His hand was somewhat trembling but he could not help it and took two steps forward. When he just reached the creak at the door, a thick strong smelling scent washed over, almost making him stagger. The old person who sounded the night watch pushed the door but the main door of the Prince Yu residence did not open. When one looked down, between the dark slits of the door, there was a piece of solid ice stuck there.

Most probably due to the wind and snow last night, it was frozen solid and was stuck at the door.

The old person who sounded the night watch stared wide eyed and took two steps back before suddenly screaming, making the people on the streets look over at him.

With the first ray of dawn, that piece of crystal clear ice was particularly clear. It was thick concentrated blood that had solidified into an ice piece, from the door slits flowed out an ice river but halted at the front of the door. It was as if those who were being chased were struggling to live but were cut off from the route by the distance of a door.

As if it was the flow of fresh blood.

*****

Ding capital's Prince Yu of the First Rank residence's entire household was exterminated the day it welcomed the Wangfei. From the top to the bottom of the residence, servants to concubines, even a cat, dog, chicken or duck was not spared. It was as if the person who did it had a huge debt of deep seated hatred so they slaughtered everyone cleanly. Such clean and neat execution that death comes in one stroke and in addition that there was not a single loss of gold or jewellery, it was obvious that one was not seeking for money.