Chapter 14

"Here I brought you some pizza." I put the take out box that had the pizza, on Debbie's desk.

James was crazy if he thought I was going to eat that again.

"You went to buy pizza?" She asked carefully, studying my face, for a reason I didn't know.

"Yeah well I was with James and we went to Ryan's Place."

"Oooh I like that place. Food there is so delicious. Thank you."

"Your welcome." I said taking of my shoes.

"So..  You're hanging out with James a lot... "

"Yeah... He asked me to be his girlfriend today..." I took off my pants. I was changing for practice.

"Oh my gosh! What did you say!?" She said enthusiastically.

"What do you think I said?" I put on some shorts. 

"No?" She raised an eyebrow.

"No Debbie, I said yes."

"You said yes!?" She asked in disbelief.

"Yes, I said yes."

"You don't sound too happy about it..."

"What is there to be happy about? I'm lying to him, to everyone. I don't want this Debbie. I like James but, I'm just keeping to much from him. When he finds out my father beats me he'll look at me like a weak little girl. I don't want that Debbie, I don't."

"Then why did you accept to be his girlfriend? You should of just said no." Debbie almost yelled at me.

"Because I like him. Because I'm stupid." A sob escaped my lips. "Because he was the only one that actually makes me feel like I matter. He makes me feel like he actually cares. He is always trying to be with me even when I push him away." I cried.

"Taylor -"

"No! Let me finish! I fell for him! Okay? I fell for whatever it is he is doing! I feel like I need  him. I think I might fall in love with McDaniels but that is something I'm willing to take if he really wants to be with me for now. And I'll take the heart break when it comes, because I'll be leaving soon. And he, like everybody else will know what it is to be Taylor Ryan."

"Your just gonna hurt yourself."

"I know." I whispered. "Isn't that already happening? Don't I get hurt all the time? This will just be like everything else I've been through. I just don't have control of my life anymore..." I wiped away my tears.

"Yes you do. Everyone has control over their own lives."

"Not me Debbie. Fred has people watching me, I know that for sure. I can feel it. I don't even think my secret place is safe anymore. I feel like someone is writing down my every move. I haven't told anyone, but when we were at Ryan's Place, I felt the stare of someone, but there was something more to it. Like there was someone else watching me, someone good. Like a battle between the good and the bad."

"Maybe someone knows you're in trouble and is watching you, so you can be safe."

"Who would want to keep me safe. No one knows the things I go through. No one but you." I glared at her.

"I swear to god, it's not me!"

"You can swear to god all you want. I don't believe in him so that tells me nothing."

"Okay! But it's not me! Why would I send people to look after you? I know you like being independent. I don't do anything you don't tell me to do. I keep my word. It wasn't me."