Chapter 73: Shen Qiu

Start from the beginning

Shen Miao suddenly closed her eyes and the memories of her past life came overwhelmingly.

In all fairness, Shen Qiu as an older brother, really did his best. At first no matter how cold she treated Shen Qiu, he would always be warm to her. Afterwards something happened and Shen Qiu had smeared some young lady's innocence and was forced to marry that young lady as a wife. With that, everything changed. Mistakes were often made in his military work and afterwards he fell down from the horse and broke his leg. Fast-forward, that young lady made Shen Qiu wear a green hat (cuckold). In a fit of anger Shen Qiu killed that adulterer but who knew he was the only Di son of the Minister of Personnel. The Minister submitted an Imperial report and Shen Xin spent most of his fortune to protect Shen Qiu's life but at the end Shen Qiu was found dead in a winter morning. Someone discovered his corpse in the middle of the pond.

At that time Shen Miao had married to Fu Xiu Yi and it was the critical period of the fight for the heir. When she heard of the grievous news, she rushed back to the residence and what she saw was Shen Qiu's deformed corpse that was swollen due to the soak.

Even if she was not close to Shen Qiu but after all they both had the same blood flow in them. She was so hurt and sad that she fell into a serious illness, but Fu Xiu Yi sent Shen Xin off to battle at that time.

That cold winter sunshine, that dripping wet body from the pond, Shen Qiu's pale and deformed face compared to the young face that had a touch of smile in front of her, was like a sharp sword that trust into her, making her hard to breath.

Shen Miao bend down quickly and clutched her chest as she took big gasps of breath.

"Younger Sister!" Shen Qiu jumped in shocked and propped her up before roaring towards outside, "Go call the physician! Quickly! Younger Sister's health is indisposed!"

A hand grabbed onto Shen Qiu's arms. He turned back and saw Shen Miao standing up as she held his arm before saying, "No need, it was only a lack of strength."

"Younger Sister's health has yet to recover, it is appropriate to invite the physician to take a look." Shen Qiu shook his head and said in a concerned tone.

"I am fine." Shen Miao said to the hesitant Jing Zhe, "All of you withdraw."

Her tone was firm and calm which made Shen Qiu stunned for a moment.

"Younger Sister, what is the matter with you?" Shen Qiu asked. Once the words came out, he was vexed at himself for using such heavy words. He usually faced brute men in the army and had forgotten to be softer and gentler to young females and thus slow his words and tone down, "Yesterday upon seeing you trapped in the fire, Father and Mother were really frightened. Younger Sister, why were you in the ancestral hall? Were you being locked up?"

However Shen Miao shook her head and smiled as she looked at him, "After a year of not meeting, is Eldest Brother doing well?"

"Ah?" Shen Qiu was simple minded and said in a laughing manner as he scratched his head, "I am still alright. The army is always like this, make a few contributions and wait for His Majesty to bestow some things. Younger Sister can pick what you like from it." After finishing, he seemed to have thought about something and happily said, "That is right. Father previously hunted a fire rat and skinned it to make a cloak out of it. I will later get the servants to bring it over. That cloak is invulnerable to knives and spears and could evade fire and water. If you had that cloak yesterday then you will not be burnt..."

His voice hardly finished when Shen Qiu froze on the stop. Shen Miao went up and wrapped her hands around Shen Qiu's arms and rested her head on his chest.

Even if they were real siblings they were after all not little children, so Shen Qiu was somewhat embarrassed for some time even though he was overjoyed. It had been a long time since Shen Miao was so close to him and he felt overwhelmed by the unexpected favour. Just as he was somewhat happy, his heart sank as he thought about Shen Miao's temperament, she must have suffered big grievances for her to be this unprecedentedly close to him today.