Chapter 34

Denzel
Sunlight hit my face as I woke up. I eventually fell asleep while watching Janet sleep. I didn't want to leave her alone because I didn't know if she was okay or not. Also, I wanted to be there for her when she needed me.

Sitting up, I noticed the bed was empty and her side was made up. I got up and quickly put some clothes on before leaving the room. Going downstairs, I calmed down when I saw her in the living room with her mother and sisters. "Hey, baby." She smiled at me. "Did you sleep okay?" I let out a breath I was holding.

"Yes, it was good." I sat next to her.

"I'm happy. You were tossing and turning for a while."

"Yeah. Why are you up so early?"

"Well, after yesterday I decided that sitting in negativity didn't do me or my son any good. So I woke up and took me a nice calming bath and did a bunch of self care stuff that LaToya had been telling me about and I felt so refreshed. Kind of like washing all those bad things away."

"That's good, but you still need to talk about it with someone."

"I know. Mother was just telling about how she took Toya to this great place to help her unpack those things."

"Really. You did therapy, Toya?"

"Yeah. At first I didn't want to. I convinced myself that I had been okay and I believed it until I woke up in a hospital after trying to drown myself."

"Wow."

"Our father wasn't too big on mental health so we never practiced those things." said Rebbie.

"And I didn't help much either but saying to pray and stuff." Mrs. Jackson spoke up. "But I'm happy I can help my children now. It's never too late."

"You're right, mother." Janet looked at her watch. "Oh, but I am late for a meeting." She stood up.

"What meeting?"

"With Gil and the team. We have to get ready for the next leg of the tour. It's only six months away, you know."

"I know." She pecked my lips.

"You got Eissa, right?"

"Yeah, me and the little homie gone chill." She laughed.

"Good. I'm so happy he has you. He doesn't even know how lucky he is."

"Oh stop." Her sisters laughed.

"Y'all are too cute."

"I know." said Janet. "Well, bye everyone. Love you, guys."

"Bye." She went to walk away.

"Oh, baby." I looked at her. "I left you something upstairs that came in the mail today."

"Ok." She turned and left. I sighed. Her sisters and mother looked at me. "What?"

"Nothing." They giggled.

"What?"

"Nothing." said Mama Kat. "Y'all are just so cute."

"Thank you." I blushed.

"Awww, they're in love." LaToya teased.

"Stop it."

"No, it's okay. It's sweet. I'm happy you treat her well." She stood up. "That way I won't have to kill you." She smiled. I started laughing to hide the fact that I was actually now genuinely scared of her. LaToya wouldn't strike you as the type of person to be scared of but she definitely has her moments. Especially when it comes to her little sister.