Chapter 29

Denzel
"Okay, now so this one." I handed Eissa the block and he put it in the square hole. "Good job." I clapped and he copied me. "Good job, buddy." I picked him up and tickled him, causing him to laugh. After a little while,
I stopped and took him back to the living room.

Janet wanted to keep him on a good sleeping schedule and I was making sure to keep up with it. So it was time to feed him. I put him in his playpen and turned on that Paw Patrol show again. He squealed in excitement when he saw it. I just shook my head as he pulled himself up by holding the side of the playpen so he could see better. This kid was something else.

I made his bottle and put a little of these vitamin drops in it that Janet wanted him to have. Going back into the living room, I picked him up and we sat on the couch as he drank his bottle. He refused to let me hold it for him so I let him do his big one.

When he finished the bottle, I sat it to the side and he laid back against me. He slumped back like he had just worked a twelve hour shift. This kid is something else, but I loved him. He was a major part of my world now and I couldn't imagine life without him. I don't even want to entertain the idea.

He started fussing a little bit and that let me know he was getting sleepy. He started climbing over me, trying to stand up. "Calm down, man." He started to cry. "I know. I know." I hugged him and rubbed his back. "Shhh." I felt him still trying to fight sleep but it was clear he was about to give into it. Eventually, he laid on my shoulder and fell asleep. I held him for a little longer before laying him down on the couch and covering him up.

I decided to use this time to clean up a little after him. He's a lot more active now as he gets bigger, so he's making a bigger mess. Janet gets a little annoyed with it but I just clean up after him because he's just too precious to be mad at.

As I was cleaning, there was a knock at the door. It was getting pretty late so I wondered who it was. I opened it and smiled. "Hey."

"Hey."

"You have a key, why didn't you use it?"

"I didn't know if..."

"You can use your key. Come in." She walked in and I closed the door.

"Where's Eissa?"

"Knocked out on the couch." She went over to him and smiled as she watched him sleep. "He wore himself out."

"What did y'all do?"

"We played games and with toys. He tried to stand up and dance. It was cute."

"Awww."

"I recorded it for you so you could see."

"Thank you." She looked back at me. There was some silence.

"So what's up?"

"I came to apologize. I didn't give you a chance to really talk or explain and for that, I'm truly sorry."

"It's okay, baby." I pulled her into a hug. "Just know when I say that I'm not like those other dudes, I mean it. I love you." She laid her head on me.

"I was just worried that you had been lying to me this whole time."

"Never that."

"Good." She looked up at me and I gave her a kiss. "And I'll never keep Eissa from you. I said that out of anger. I know how much he means to you."

"That's big homie." She laughed and pulled away.

"Denzy, I do love you and I trust you. I'm just scared all of the time. It may not look like it, but I am. Everyday I wake up wondering is this the day that it all ends for me and now with this news about the bus, I just can't deal with it all."