Chapter 13

Denzel
I sat down and watched everyone get ready for Janet to come. They were all so excited to see her and so was I. I hadn't seen her in a few days because she's been busy. She was spending so much of her time preparing for the tour. I did get to speak with her on the phone, but that's about it. "Denzel, aren't you excited? It's been over a month since we've seen her:" Alex sat next to me.

"Yeah, I can't wait." I sounded as believable as possible, like she wasn't staying at my house for a while.

"I hope she likes the choreography. We've been working so hard."

"She'll love it. Don't worry." Alex shook her leg. "Calm down. It'll be fine." I patted her shoulder and she grabbed my hand.

"Thanks, Denzy. You always calm me down." She held onto my hand. I chuckled nervously and took my hand back. I got the sense that she was trying to say something else but I stood up.

"You're welcome." I went over to my bag and drank some of my water. As I put it back, the studio doors opened.

"Hi, guys!" I looked and instantly was overwhelmed. Janet had gotten her hair done and it was dyed a honey blonde and brown color that framed her face perfectly.

She was also dressing differently. Instead of oversized joggers and a T-shirt, she had on leggings and a tank top. Her body was out of this world. I had to pull away from looking before my excitement was evident. "Hey, Denzy." She hugged me. I kept my hands on her back.

"Hey, we missed you." She pulled away.

"I missed you all too." Everyone continued to hug her when Gil came in.

"Okay, I know everyone's excited but let's get to work. We have a month to go." Everyone got in place and mine was right behind Janet which was very distracting because her body was looking too good. Oh lord. "Alright, we are no longer playing pretend. The real Janet is here and you should dance accordingly. Music!" The music started and we all followed our steps. Janet followed everything and glided perfectly. She was amazing. "That's right, Jan. Work it." We finished and Gil clapped. "That's what I'm talking about."

"Yeah, we did that!" Alex said. Everyone high fived.

"Alright, alright. We did good, but let's keep that energy going." said Janet. "And even though it was good, we could be a little more crisp. Also, I need everyone to focus on their faces. Make sure we look like we're having fun." Everyone nodded. Boss lady was back.

"Okay, guys let's keep going." The next song started and we jumped right back in.

We rehearsed for hours before Janet and Gil both agreed to end for the day. While everyone was packing, I scrolled through my phone looking for where to go eat. I was definitely starving. It's almost like we didn't have lunch. "Denzy." I got excited hearing my name but changed my energy when I saw it was just Alex.

"Hey, Alex. What's up?"

"A few of us are going to get a bite to eat and the movies. You wanna come?" She looked at me with a knowing look.

"Naw, I'm good. I'm going to rest up and work on the choreography."

"Oh, okay. Well, if you change your mind."

"Alright. See ya." She waved and walked away. I knew she was a little deflated, but I got somebody and no one could compare to her.

Slowly, everyone left out except for Janet and Gil. She came over to me and sat down. "Y'all did a good job hiding y'all's love today." said Gil. She laughed.

"Thank you."

"Took a lot of strength considering how gorgeous you look today. Why didn't you tell me about the new hair and stuff?"