Chapter 36

Not the most dramatic rescue mission for my chapters with many explosions but I hope you enjoy 💕

Sophie:

He was getting weaker and weaker by the second, and I wanted to help. I wanted to make sure he stayed awake and didn't give up.

But I was getting weaker too.

"Foster," he said softly, his eyes closed in obvious pain.

"Yeah," I croaked out, my voice barely audible.

There was a moment of silence that felt like eternity.

And it felt like Ro had been gone forever.

"You know I'm crazy about you, right?" he whispered.

"Yeah," I chuckled softly, "you tell me all the time."

But then a frown creased my forehead in concern. "We're going to be fine, Keefe."

"Even though I don't tell you this all the time, you had my heart a long, long time ago," he confessed.

"Keefe, what's this about?" I trembled, feeling a sense of foreboding. Was something wrong? Did he think we weren't going to make it?

"Stop worrying, Foster," his eyes fluttered open, "I'm not dying yet."

"Then why are you pronouncing your love for me in a near-death situation?" I asked, a mix of confusion and relief washing over me.

He smiled gently, his beautiful eyes glistening in the darkness. "In case you don't know."

"I love you too. But don't scare me like that," I replied, my lips curving into a smile.

He whispered in my ear, "I would be lying if I said that I could live this life without you."

"Stop, Keefe," I playfully protested, my cheeks turning red.

He paused for a moment, his voice filled with sincerity. "It kinda scares me the way that you drive me wild."

"What's wrong with you, Keefe?"

But it wasn't me who said it.

"Dex!?" I screamed in surprise.

"Yep, we're all here to rescue you. But I won't do it if Keefe keeps being all lovey-dovey," Dex teased.

Keefe responded with heavy sarcasm, "Haha, very funny, Dexinator."

Biana shouted, concern evident in her voice, "Are you guys badly hurt?"

"Pretty bad," I admitted, unwillingly.

Fitz chimed in, "Okay, I think that means it's really bad."

Keefe couldn't resist making a joke, "Wow, he knows you so well."

Alden's stern voice cut through the banter, "This isn't funny, kids. Dex, get them out with your gadget."

"Fine," Dex grumbled, his sassy eye roll practically palpable through the rocks.

After a few tense minutes, the rocks slowly started to pull away, and a flood of light filled the hollow opening.

I let out a sigh of relief and allowed myself to close my eyes.

Now that Keefe is safe, I can finally breathe.

We're going to be okay.

I know there's going to be a lot of drama in the next few days when they find out why all of this happened.

But for now Sophie Foster finally gets to sleep.