Chapter 45

Sophie P.O.V

Keefe entered Havenfield, exhaustion etched on his face after a long day of intense training. The intricate blend of abilities he had been training on – froster, phaser, guster, and his two other mixed-up abilities – had taken a toll on him.

I looked up from my reading, concern crossing my face. "Rough day?"

Keefe flopped down on the couch, running a hand through his disheveled hair. "Yep. It gets kinda draining using all of them."

I snuggled into him, wrapping my arms around him, "you should really take a break."

He shot me a tired grin. "Yeah, but today's special. I managed to freeze myself. Not my finest moment."

I raised an eyebrow. "Frozen Keefe? That's a new one."

Keefe sighed. "And don't even get me started on the phaser-guster combo. I'm blowing myself around the place while I flash in and out through the walls, it looks ridiculous."

I laughed. "I'd pay to see that."

Keefe gave me a mock glare. "Not helping, Foster."

As he recounted the trials and tribulations of mastering his combined abilities, I couldn't help but admire his determination. "You're pushing yourself hard, Keefe. Maybe take a break for a while?"

He shrugged. "I really want to have complete control of them."

I grinned. "Just don't forget how to un-freeze yourself, okay?"

Keefe shot me a wink. "No promises. But if I do, at least I know you'll rescue me."

We chatted for a few minutes, before we were met with a comfortable silence. Then Keefe's breathing slowed, and he fell asleep with his head resting on my shoulder.

I adjusted the blanket over us, and the soft glow of a nearby lamp created a cozy atmosphere.

And in the quiet of Havenfield's sitting room, I continued reading, stealing occasional glances at Keefe's peaceful face.