Chapter 30 (Once a traitor, always a traitor.)

The morning dawned earlier than I expected... When I woke up, I saw a mannequin dressed in a precious blue gown in front of me. It was probably my "engagement dress". I won't lie, it looked fabulous. The pale blue color went perfectly with the white silk and golden patterns. However, I did not feel happy looking at it. Is he really planning to marry me...? Forget it, Dia... After everything that happened yesterday between me and Benedict... Eliot could have at least postponed the date of our engagement. Never mind. He's still arrogant and clueless as always. I stood up and went to check if the door was unlocked. My hopes of ever escaping were crushed. The door was shut tight. I tried to hold back my tears, to control myself and put on a brave face, but I couldn't. I needed to get the pain out of my hurting chest. I covered my mouth with my hands so that no one would hear me sobbing and collapsed on the floor. It felt like someone ripped out my heart from my chest and started stabbing it multiple times. I was defeated yet again. I looked up at the ceiling, lost in my thoughts. I could feel my strength draining away. I thought about what had happened yesterday. How cowardly Benedict acted and the how carrying and concerned was Eliot about my well being... Why did Benedict had to sacrifice me to Eliot to save himself..? Why did Eliot sacrifice his dignity and honor to keep me from the duplicitous Benedict and his evil intentions...? Does he actually love me? Enough Diana... You can't let your thoughts control your feelings. I must think of a way to escape from this palace unnoticed... It would be easy, if I didn't have to wear this stupid dress...

Suddenly, loud footsteps interrupted my thoughts, I guessed who they belonged to... Before I could act, the woman entered my room. She was standing in front of me, looking at me with a wicked smile on her face. Eliot's mother. Great. The last thing I need is her judgment... She came closer to me and snatched the dress from the mannequin and threw it right at my face.

-Come on!!! What are you weeping here for?! Get dressed, sweetheart! - intimidatingly said Veronica

-N-no... - I answered quietly, - You can't make me!! I don't want to marry him!!! - I blurted out through my tears

-How dare you talk back to me like that??!!! You ungrateful, fool!! - she shouted, spatting on the floor - Listen to me, you are marrying my son and that is final! I don't have time to argue with you!! Don't try to get on my nerves, Diana. I can call for Eliot if you won't listen to a word I say!! - she threatened me, - I don't even understand what Eliot even saw in you... - she laughed sarcastically

-... - I sighed, taking a deep breath - Please leave.

-As you wish, Gabriella will take you to the ballroom where the engagement will take place.

And with those words she slammed the door behind me, just like that I was alone again. I decided it was useless to fight against this arrangement, so I thought I'd put on the dress. It felt really nice, comfortable and soft. I smiled. But then quickly got back to my senses and whispered: "This isn't my 'lucky day' dress and never will be."

Monica knocked on the door:

-Are you done, can I come in...?

-Yes.

-W-wow... Diana, you look like a princess who came down straight from heaven... You are simply gorgeous!

-Umm... Thanks, I guess... - I replied, looking at the floor trying to avoid eye contact

-Listen, I want to apologize for everything I did and said to you... I didn't mean any of it. I also got a call from Cristina. She told me her real feelings and that I misunderstood her. Christina was also asking about your love life... - she sighed as her smile faded away, - I feel stupid for believing Eliot's empty words and dragging you into this mess. You don't deserve to be treated like this, none is. I wish I could help you, Diana.