Chapter 18 (Confession)

You will have to work alone this day. I can't say I don't like hard work. I like it, but sometimes it's very tiring and requires so much effort that you forget who you are at night. The case is not difficult. It just looks that way from the side. When you don't know the truth, everything seems impossible. But at a certain time and in a certain place this "truth" seems very funny. OK, Liliana, concentrate on the case.

-Hi, Monica

-Hello, Christine... What are you doing here? It's working hours. Did Detective Jones drop you off earlier?

-You could say yes... I brought you some soup, have some food.

-Yes, you didn't have to. After all, it's not that hard to take care of yourself! - Monica wrinkled her nose

-Monika, sit down!!! You've had enough of sitting in this bed for days.

-"I will not part with my bed!

-Ane?!

-ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!! Don't touch me!! I'll sit down

-This!!! How delicious, right?...

-You remind me of my childhood... You remember when we were little, my mother used to cook this soup and we used to eat it together.

-Aha! I miss the days when you didn't have to think about the future.

-Listen, I want to tell you something. Maybe even confess!!

-Really? Say it!

-I... Ummm... You... - Kristina looked into her curious eyes, unable to believe that right now she'd confess her feelings to Monica!

-"What are you doing, Kristina? Tell me!! - she laughed

-Oh... Nothing important. Forget it.

-If you're plagued by doubts, tell me. It will make it easier!!

-I LOVE YOU, MONICA!! - Kristina covered her mouth

-What did you say?! - she shouted in confusion

-No! - Christine teared up, - I knew it was a bad idea, but Detective Jones said... Oh, forget it!! - she shook her head, - Please!!!

-Wait! - Monica shouted back, - Where are you going?!

-I'm sorry!! - she cried, slamming the door shut.

-This could mean something, Benedict... - started, looking at the item in my hands

-"I know, dear, but I can't tell or see anything, when you're talking on the phone, you'll have to give me the USB and I'll try to find out the information encoded in it.

-Thank you... - I smiled, trying not to blush

-Liliana!! - Christine screamed in a voice not her own

-Benedict, I have to go now. Bye. - I said, hanging up the phone

-I love you... - he replied, but the call had ended before she could hear those words

-How could you lie to me like that?!!! - she yelled, pushing me around

-When did I lie to you, Kristina?! - I shouted in shock

-You said that if I tell Monica how I feel, she'll forgive me!

-Well... Yes. Did something happen? - I asked, - Did she reject you?

-Worse!!! She doesn't want to communicate with me anymore!!! I trusted you, I thought you were advising me to make the right choice... But I was wrong. You ruined my life!! I don't want to see your face, Liliana!! - she shouted looking me dead in the eye, - Get out of my sight!! - she yelled throwing papers in my face

-Christine... Calm down. Tell me what did Monica say to you...

-I don't want to talk to you!! Leave me alone! - she cried, falling on her knee"

"I didn't know what to say. I was really ashamed that this happened to her. I never wanted to hurt her. It's all my fault. And the worst part of this is that I don't even know how to comfort her.."

-How could you?! - she finally spoke, with tears streaming down her face

- I-I...- I sighed, 'I didn't think it would work out this way. I'm sorry. Please, try to understand me... - I smiled, placing my hand on her shoulder, - What did Monica say to you?

-Well... To be honest. She was shocked... - she laughed nervously, - I could tell by looking at her face, that she was disgusted, and didn't want to see or hear from me anymore.

-She said that to you?

-No... - Christine sighed, - I didn't give her a chance to say anything

-That means not everything is lost. You can still rebuild your relationship with her. Maybe she also wanted to say something to you, but her inner feelings prevented her from expressing herself, just as you didn't give her a chance to say how she felt.

-Are you suggesting I should go back to her and apologize?

-No... - I shook my head, - I'm not suggesting anything. You are the one who needs to find a solution... Of course, I can tell you what you can do, but it is up to you. I'll be here to support your decision!!

-I want to leave Paris... - she said calmly

-What?!! - I shouted

-You said you would support any decision I make! - she said angrily, standing up to face me

-I know... - I crossed my arms, - But I have one question for you, Kristina...

-I'm listening

-Are you doing this for Monica or yourself?

-For Monica's sake... - she replied, - Umm, or maybe for your own sake?!!! I don't know!!! I just... - she signed, - I know that for as long as I stay here neither she nor I will be happy.

-Although I don't like your decision, I have to respect your opinion. You can go. - I said, giving her a goodbye hug

-Thank you. - she smiled