Chapter 1 : Disposing the Empress

Start from the beginning

Because of that, she dedicated herself to assisting Prince Ding, changing from a pampered daughter who did not know anything to a Prince Consort who could participate in court, come up with plans, give advice and also stabilise the country. On the day that Fu Xiu Yi ascended the throne, he established her as the Empress, the mother to the world.

She thought that she was the grandest Empress. When the Princes' rebellion was quelled, the Xiao Nu attacked, putting the neighbouring countries at risk. In order to borrow troops, Shen Miao voluntarily went to the Qin country as a hostage; when she left, her children were not even a full month. But Fu Xiu Yi had said, "Zhen will personally bring you back."

Five years later, she finally could return back to Ming Qi, but there was an additional beautiful and talented Mei Furen in the Inner Palace.

Mei Furen was an official's daughter that Fu Xiu Yi had met during his expedition to the East. He liked her intelligence and sensibility and thus brought her back to the Palace. Mei Furen gave birth to Prince Fu Chen who was much favoured. Conversely, Shen Miao's son, the Crown Prince Fu Ming, was not favoured at all.

Fu Xiu Yi once said, in the presence of the entire court, "Fu Ming's character is too soft, Fu Cheng is still the one who resembles me the most." His words clearly indicated his intention to change the title of the Crown Prince.

As Mei Furen made Shen Miao feel a sense of crisis, they fought in the palace for ten years. Mei Furen had repeatedly gotten the upper hand to the point that she even urged Fu Xiu Yi to marry her daughter, Princess Wan Yu, to the Xiong Nu as a marriage alliance. The Xiong Nu were very aggressive and Princess Wan Yu was immediately cremated after dying from an illness on the marriage journey. Everyone knew the matter was strange, but as a mother, Shen Miao had no alternatives.

At the end, she had walked to where she was.

Fu Xiu Yi's one decree of "The Shen family revolted, the Crown Prince was deposed and he had commit suicide to atone for his offences." She as an Empress would also be deposed and three Chi (1 chi = 1/3 meter) of white silk bestowed.

She only wanted to ask one question, "Why?"

Shen Miao reasoned, "Fu Xiu Yi, do you have no conscience? You and I have been husband and wife for more than twenty years and I had not done anything to let you down. When you first ascended to the throne, it was my Shen family that helped you. When you went into battle and the Xiong Nu came to invade, I was the one to help you write the letter of surrender. When you wanted to draw the high ranking officials to your side, it was me who got on my knees to beg them to assist. I went to Qin country as a hostage and suffered torture and pain and how did you reciprocate? When Mei Furen suggested a marriage for Wan Yu, you drafted the Imperial decree. Wan Yu was only sixteen when she died. The entire court was aware that you favoured Fu Cheng while neglecting Fu Ming and now you exterminate my entire clan. Now that death is near at hand, I will ask you one question. Why?"

"Shen Miao." Fu Xiu Yi frowned, but there was not the slightest change in expression, as if he was a cold statue, "When Imperial Father was around, he had already wanted to deal with several big families. Shen family had accomplishments that could cover the masters, so they could not remain for long. It was Zhen who persuaded Imperial Father. Zhen let the Shen family survive for twenty years, this is already the biggest bestowment to the Shen family!"

Already the biggest bestowment to the Shen family! Shen Miao's entire body shook. These days she had cried so much that her tears no longer flowed. She faced Fu Xiu Yi and said slowly, "Why keep the Shen family? It was not because of your kindness and not because of your bestowment. You only wanted to make use of the Shen family military power to fight with your Di brothers. After the cunning hare dies, the hounds are boiled. Now that the country is settled, you destroy the bridge after crossing the river. Fu Xiu Yi, you are so heartless!"