HER : 36

emery

"which tray should i put the batter in? the small one or the bigger one?" i turned to ask maggie.

"the smaller one." she answered. "or else they'll burn like the first time billie attempted this recipe." she giggled at her daughter's mistake. "where is she anyway?"

"oh she's out with drew and zo." i answered. "i think they went to the thrift store."

"why didn't you go with them?"

"oh i didn't want to be in the middle, they've been best friends since forever and they need to have best friend time alone." i shook my head. "besides i don't feel like going out."

"that's right! it's good i remembered." maggie snapped her fingers once. "do want us to fly with you to boston to help with your dorm?"

"oh no, it's really unnecessary, my stuff is already packed thanks to you. you've already done enough." i shook my head.

"unpacking can me a hassle honey, maybe billie should go with you, it doesn't have to be me or patrick." she protested.

"we'll see when the time comes." i shrugged.

"only worth living if someboooodyyyy...." drew barged through the front door.

"is loving you!" zo continued.

"and baby now you do..." all of them sang along and started laughing loudly. maggie and i only stared with a smiles on our faces.

"it's sounds like you three had a good time." mags said while washing her hands.

"the best! i forgot what it was like with all of us being fools." billie placed her tote bag on the couch.

"emery!" drew screeched and squeezed me into a hug.

"it smells amazing! what are you baking?" zo asked.

"come here i got you the prettiest dress, it was a steal honestly." drew led me to the living room where her tote bag was.

"drew... you really didn't have to get me anything." i widened my eyes.

"i know, i know, but i just knew you would have loved this. you love wearing sundresses." she pulled out the dress.

"drew! this is an expensive brand! their stuff is always sold out." i widened my eyes when i recognized the print and design.

"i know! it was only for ten dollars, tell me it isn't a steal." she placed the fabric on me. "gorgeous."

"that's crazy. for ten dollars?" i couldn't believe it.

"i know!"

"thank you, i love it." i pout and hugged her tight.

"you're welcome em." she held me tight and we transitioned into a side hug. "i smell brownies."

"we just put them in the oven." i replied.

"i thought baking brownies was our thing." billie frowned, looking at maggie, making me frown too. i didn't know, i didn't mean to steal their thing.

maggie tried not to make it obvious to me but it was. she gave billie a "shut the fuck up" look. she shouldn't have, if this was their thing, i had no right to go and i guess pretend to be billie.

cause i'm not, i'm not maggie's daughter and will never be. despite how much she cares for me and how much i look up to her, she is not my mother and i am not her daughter. doesn't mean that sometime i don't wish that mama was a just a little bit like her.