"what does the fox say?"

Jeongin reclined on his bed, the clock showing midnight, yet he remained wide awake

Jeongin reclined on his bed, the clock showing midnight, yet he remained wide awake. It was the weekend, and the past few days had gone smoother than he had anticipated. Jay and Agust, his bodyguards, were by his side at all times, and Chris consistently picked him up once his shift concluded.

Everything seemed just perfect.

What made it even better was that Evelyn hadn't shown up after that first day.

Soft giggles filled the room as he hid under his blanket, engrossed in watching videos of foxes on the phone Chris had given him. He resembled a curious child, his father had promised him a new phone once he completed high school. But, well.

Everything seemed perfect, right?

Well, that was far from the truth because, as he was engrossed in his phone, something sinister was happening underground, in the basement.

Inside the torture cell, a man was bound to a chair, blood streaming down his face, and his head hung low. His breaths were slow and labored.

"Sir, I've told you, he won't utter a word," one of the men remarked, his expression contorted into a frown.

"He won't?" Chris raised an eyebrow. "Well, I suppose I'll have to handle this myself." He approached the bound man and stared down at him. "Everyone, leave."

In no time, the cell was emptied. Guards and investigators, who would typically be present, had cleared out. Even Jisung and Changbin, who usually took part in such interrogations, didn't dare to stay after Chris's direct order.

"Min Joonho," Chris began, his voice deceptively calm, "Agust's half-brother, has been working under Capo Lee Minseok for almost two years. But suddenly, he decides to betray the family. Why?"

Joonho remained silent, his eyes filled with fear. Tied up in front of the leader, he knew his fate was sealed, and death was inevitable.

"Answer me the damn question, you bastard," Chan snarled, grabbing his face and jaw harshly. The latex gloves he had been wearing were now tainted red from the man's blood.

"I... I can't," he finally managed to speak, each word sounding like it took immense effort. "They'll kill me."

Chris grinned, increasing the pressure on the man's jaw. "And you think I won't?" he chided. "So loyal to someone other than the very people who allowed you to become part of this family? How repugnant is that."

"I had no other choice," Min Joonho stammered, desperately trying to defend himself, even though he knew it was a complete lie. His voice was laced with fear as he continued, "You have to understand, they... they have eyes and ears everywhere. I couldn't risk betraying them."

Chris stepped back, his expression shifting to one of slight sympathy. He retrieved a small container from a hidden locker, a thing he rarely used. "You know," he began, "I believe in second chances."