Chapter Fifty-Five : Memories

TRIGGER WARNING -
This chapter goes over sensitive topics involving child abuse, heavy violence, and claustrophobia.

READ WITH CAUTION

Desmond

I have no idea where I am.

It's dark.

It's cramped.

There's a pillow and a blanket.

There's a door.

I'm really close to the door.

It's wooden.

I'm in a closet.

There are slits in this door, allowing small streaks of light to illuminate the closet. I can feel my body crumble as I scream and shout and cry, kicking the door, kicking the wall, punching and scratching. Breathing was hard. My body ached. Sweat dripped down my face. There were no clothes in this closet, just me, this pillow, and this blanket.

I'm crying.

A shadow covers the door, cutting off my vision from the outside world and that only scares me more. I'm sobbing now, the tears could fill buckets as my body shakes and trembles in a terrible fear that I've never felt before. I don't know what to do with myself. And then there is a voice, a rough and raspy and broken voice, but the way it shushes me sends a warm feeling through my body.

"Shh, it's okay Joey, your okay." Her voice said, and immediately I knew it was her.

"Buck?" I whispered back, my voice breaking as I do so, tears staining my cheeks.

"Your okay little soldier." She told me, pressing her hand against the door. "Your my brave little soldier, right Joey?"

"Please let me out Buck." I pleaded with everything in me. "Please let me out of here, please! I can't breathe!"

"You have to be quiet now, okay little soldier? Can you do that for me?" She asked me and my lip quivered as I answered.

"No! PLEASE LET ME OUT OF HERE!" I screamed for her, peering through the cracks of the door to get a good look at her. "LET ME OUT BUCK! LET ME OUT LET ME OUT LET ME OUT NOW!"

I am slamming my hands so hard against the door that dust falls from the hinges, but a heavy metal lock prevents it from falling. I can barely see her face, but she looks younger, calmer, more innocent maybe? It's something I can't seem to figure out, but I think it has to do with the fact that she's smiling. I never really see that from her.

"Good, there you go, nice and calm." She said, but I was anything but calm.

"NO BUCK!" I screamed at her, thinking she was in some kind of trance. "LET ME OUT! I DON'T WANT TO BE IN HERE ANYMORE! LET ME OUT OF THIS FUCKING CLOSET!"

"Just stay right there buddy, I'll let you out soon and then we can take a nice long drive, okay?" She said and I screamed for her as I watched her take a step back from the door, the small slits of light returning to the closet.

And then, just like that, it feels like my mouth has been sewn shut because I can't say a word. I scratch and claw at my mouth until it starts bleeding, but nothing happens and I just sit there with bloody hands, peering through the slits. I'm numb. My world was crashing down on me and I didn't know what to do.

A door slams open, but it isn't to the closet. I'm watching in horror as Buck stands there in shock, not expecting whoever was in the doorway to be there. She opens her mouth to say something, but the hard sound of a slap echoed through my ears. I try to scream but then I remember I can't, so I just have to watch.