Chapter Seven : The New Greenie

Desmond

18 Months ago

I was supposed to have the day off that day but Alby assigned the new Greenie, Clint, as our new Medjack. I insisted that I stayed and helped him out on his first day but Jeff insisted I take the day off like I had planned to do. I was hesitant but I agreed, thanking Jeff and wishing Clint luck.

I walked across the Glade and towards the Garden. Minho was running the Maze as he always was so that meant I could be with Newt without the sass queen on my ass. When Newt saw me in the distance he smiled at me and leant against the fence post, waving to me all cute and stuff.

"Take the day off with me." I told him as I wrapped an arm around him.

I was very vocal about my relationship with Newt just to get a rise out of the slintheads who couldn't handle it. I see it as them being jealous if you ask me, but hey, whatever. Newt was at first a little nervous about being so open, but slowly he enjoyed it.

"You know I would if I could." Newt told me, looking to the gardens.

"Newt, go on." I heard Zart, Keeper of the Track-Hoes, call out from behind a bush of growing tomatoes. "You're the shucking second command, abuse it for once in you're life."

Newt looked to me and I stared back at him with loving eyes which I knew he'd never be able to resist.

"Fine." Newt gave in and I smiled widely.

"Just put your stuff back in the shed, would ya." Zart told him and Newt nodded.

"Good that." He said, going for whatever the hell tool he was working with, but I snatched it first. "Desmond..."

"Allow me." I smirked with a wink, walking off with Newt watching for a while until he turned to talk with Zart for a minuet.

All the way in the back of the Gardens was this small little shed where the Track-hoes kept tools and the seeds so they wouldn't get eaten by birds. I went for the handle and it took me a few good tugs to finally get the door opened. Gally always said he was going to get it fixed but stuff always came up that was a bigger priority.

I took a step inside, looking up and down the shelves wondering where to put this weird looking tool. Today was a bit of an unusually windy day for the Glade, but there was one big gush of wind that completely slammed the door shut behind me.

I whipped around to face the door, the shed being so dark that I couldn't see a damn thing, only small slivers of sunlight poking through little holes here and there. I quickly tried to shove the door open but this time it was really jammed.

"NEWT!" I shouted louder than I meant to. "NEWT I CAN'T OPEN THE DOOR!"

"Desmond?"

"I CAN'T OPEN THE DOOR!" I shouted again more urgently, slamming my fist multiple times against it.

I felt trapped. The walls were closing in on me so tight that I couldn't breathe and there was a ringing in my ear that echoed loudly. I could feel my heart rushing so fast that I thought it was going to rip right out of my chest and sweat poured down my face.

"NEWT GET ME OUT OF HERE!" I shouted, my voice shaky and broken. "I CAN'T BREATHE! GET ME OUT!"

That was when I heard Newt shout out for Gally before using as much energy as he could to kick the door down. But it wasn't budging. I didn't even think Newt with his bad leg would be able to kick the door at all, but he did knowing I was freaking out inside.