Chapter Fourteen : Walls of Vines and Death

Desmond

"You think there's anything we can do?" Clint asked me but I looked up to him shaking my head.

"Just wait till she wakes up I guess." I responded.

This wasn't my fault. She didn't go into this coma-like state because I dropped her, I'm sure it didn't help though. She was out for the count and she wasn't waking up no matter what different tactics we tried. However, now and then she'd repeat the same name in her sleep.

Thomas

I'm really trying not to be suspicious

But he isn't making it easy

Shortly after confirming that there was nothing to be done on our part, Newt came walking into the room with Minho, Thomas, and Buck right behind him. Clint and Jeff looked to me and I took a deep breath, standing up straight.

"What's going on?" Newt asked right off the bat. "What's wrong with her? Why won't she wake up."

"Maybe it's because he dropped her." Minho teased and I glared at him.

"It has nothing to do with me asshole!" I yelled at him, Jeff taking a step forward while pushing me back.

"Look man, we got our jobs same way you do." Jeff defended me. "There's some things that we don't know, we don't exactly have PhDs hanging on the walls."

   Nope, but we did have drawings Charlie made Buck after her episodes. He liked to hang them up around her cot so that when she woke up she'd have no choice but to look at them. I think it was because he felt so guilty leaving her that he thought leaving a picture would be like a piece of him is still there when he wanted to hang out with other Gladers. He's a very sentimental kid. And an incredible artist.

I patted Jeff on the back and he nodded, attending to the girl once again even though there wasn't much for him to do except make her comfortable. I turned my attention to Thomas as he stared at her, Buck right behind him and staring at him. How can I not be suspicious of this guy when everything always seems to lead back to him?

"You know her?" I asked and everyone turned to look at Thomas. It took him a second to realize that we were talking to him, but he was so out of it that his response wasn't very convincing.

"No." Was all he said and I watched as Buck backed out of the room, storming off. Thomas turned to watch her leave and so did I, but as much as I wanted to follow her, we had some other things to focus on.

"Really? Because she sure recognised you." Newt said, surprising me. Maybe he was starting to see what I was seeing, but he still wouldn't look me in the eyes for too long.

"What about the note?" Thomas asked, diverging the attention to the girl once again.

"We'll worry about the note later." Newt tried but of course no one would let that go. It was pretty important.

"I think we should worry about it now." Thomas insisted but Newt just turned to him annoyed.

"We've got bigger things to deal with at the moment." Newt responded and god did I want to tell him that maybe Thomas was right. I couldn't, of course, because I was already in trouble with him enough.

"He's right Newt." Jeff said for me, which I was grateful for. "If the box isn't coming back up, how long do you think we're going to last?

"No one said that." Newt stated, trying to ignore the problem. "Let's not jump to any conclusions. We'll just wait till she wakes up to see what she knows."