Chapter Three : Look Right Through Me

THE PARTY OF THE DEAD

DAY 816 AFTER SOLAR FLARES

02:16 HOURS

Buck

   He's begging me, trying his hardest to push against me with tears streaming down his face. I can't stand it. I can't stand the look on his face. I can't stand the sounds of his sobs. I can't stand the fear burning through his eyes. I wish I had a choice. I wish there was a way to avoid this. All of it.

But there isn't.

   "PLEASE!" He screams at me but I continue to shove him in the closet. "I DON'T WANT TO GO IN THERE!"

   "I'm sorry Joey." I say with pain in my tone.

   "NO!" He screams again, hitting and punching me in defense. "NO LET ME GO!"

Screaming screaming screaming

I can't stand it.

   "Joey!" I say sharply, grabbing him by the shoulders. "You are my brave little soldier, remember?"

   He's quiet as he stares into my cold dead eyes, but he is the only person who doesn't feel terrified of them. He's the only one who knows why my eyes are so cold and dead.

   "I'm a brave little soldier." He whispered under his breath.

   "Your my brave little soldier." I repeat.

Footsteps.

   I shove Joey into the closet and close it shut, locking it quickly as I heard the foot steps getting closer. I hid the key and waited. All to be heard in this room was the raging party below, Joey's ragged breaths...

And the haunting footsteps of the devil.

THE GLADE

DAY ONE IN MAZE TRIALS

13:35 HOURS

Buck

If I had a heart then maybe I'd feel bad, but I'd be a liar if I said I didn't enjoy it. I couldn't remember the last time I had been in a fight, but damn did I miss it. The sound of cracking bones, grown men crying on the floor, my knuckles red and cut. It couldn't get much better then that. Did I feel at all guilty about those boys getting the shit beat out of them?

No.

I didn't get an electric shock this time which didn't surprise me; I got the gist of its purpose when it hit me the first time. The chip in my neck, the one in every test subject's neck, connects to my brain to prevent me from speaking. The electric shocks were to keep me from communicating to the boys in any other way that would harm WICKED. This was their best attempt to torture me. They let me keep the knowledge of everything regarding the Maze, but made me powerless to do anything.

At this point, I wasn't trying to go anywhere specific, I didn't even know where I was at first. I was confused and nothing was familiar. It all came back to me eventually, and I started to remember that I was in the Maze. Specifically I had found myself running through the forest. If I remember correctly, they called it the Deadheads.

I stayed in the shadows of the trees, walking against the tree line so that I could get a good visual on the boys. I saw a group working in the gardens and I saw others hauling wood over their shoulders. But something I couldn't miss was the conversations they were having, seen as they were all revolving around me. About how fucking crazy I am.