Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

             Scarlett: Got a free house Thursday, come over?
            Jake: Can't. Kels has this concert thing I have to go to.
            Scarlett: You sure? This might change your mind.
                        -image attached-
            Scarlett: So how about now. You free on Thursday?
            Jake: See you at 8.

   Kelsey stared wide eyed. Her hand shaking in front of her mouth as the bile rose. Her eyes scanned the messages, each confirming what she'd feared. Jake was cheating. And by the looks of things he's been unfaithful for a while now.

  Dropping the phone to the floor, Kelsey fell into a daze. Her heart pounding in her ears as she stumbled backwards, her entire body now shaking in shock. Knocking into his desk, items tumbled to the ground clattering in a heap and waking Jake up in the process. He sat up suddenly, eyes wide and shoulders tensed.

      "Jesus Christ!" He rasped, clutching his chest. Blinking rapidly he took in the scene before him. Kelsey stood still, eyes blazing an inferno as she stared him down, her face pale and jaw taught.
      "Babe? You alright?"

      "Where were you yesterday before you met me for dinner?" Her voice was alien, cold and steady against the unrelenting pain coursing through her. Jake fidgeted with the corner of the duvet, his eyes panicked before he softened his face into his usual carefree smile. Kelsey looked past this illusion, she knew she had him on the ropes. Behind that grin she knew he was formulating his latest lie, finding anyway to turn this around on her. But now she had what she needed, there was no saving himself this time.

      "I already told you, babe. Coach had me stay for some extra training-"

  A dry laugh left Kelsey's lips taking Jake aback. She pushed away from the edge of the desk, her legs unsteady, crossing her arms across her chest to hold herself together she continued to stare. Jake's brow creased, a dry laugh leaving his own mouth as he scanned Kelsey's body language.

    "What's so funny?" He said, smile slowly starting to fade.
    "One last chance, Jake." Kelsey said. "What were you doing yesterday before we went for our anniversary dinner?"
    "I told you, I was at trai-"

    "Let me rephrase the question then." Kelsey cut him off. Her grip tightening on her forearms. "Who were you doing yesterday before our anniversary dinner?"

   Jake was stumped. His mouth open fumbling to find the words to say, his face growing red in frustration.
      "Kels, what the fuck. You're crazy!" He exclaimed laughing nervously, grabbing at his hair in fistfuls.

     "Don't." Kelsey spoke through gritted teeth. "Don't you dare start this crazy girlfriend narrative." She started gathering her clothing off the ground, concentrating on anything other than the male that was making her blood boil. "I've seen the messages, Jake. You can't deny it this time."

      "What messages?!"
      "Scarlett wants to know if you're free this evening. Say's she's got something special planned for you."

      "For goodness sake, Kelsey!" Jake yelled in frustration, standing suddenly from his laid back position in bed. His form now towering beside it in nothing but his black boxers. His face was beet red and a manic smile stretched across his face. "I've told you time and fucking time again! Scarlett is just a friend. She's probably just joking about something!" He walked towards her, tripping over miscellaneous items in the process. "Maybe she's learnt a new footie skill she wants to show me up on or something!"

      Kelsey nodded slowly, the rose coloured glasses cracking. The way he thrusted his hands in anger on the emphasis of his words, made him look quite ridiculous instead of intimidating.