Chapter 43

Papa saw me in different light after that day. There was a mixture of pride and satisfaction on his face. I cast my gaze down in shame. Little did I know that the song I sang with Vine yesterday would go viral.

"My business partner called me, he said you sing well," he praised.

I snorted. "It's been a while, Pa. I'm ashamed of what you're saying."

He laughed. "Why? I saw the video and it looks like you inherited your mother's talent."

"Really, Pa?" I grinned. "Mama sings well?"

"Stop it, you two! We're in front of the food," Mama scolded us, huffing in annoyance.

Papa and I laughed together. The assistants hid their smiles. Mama's eyes narrowed but she didn't say a word. I just shook my head. I remembered when I heard Mama sang once, and it's really quite... passable.

"But you didn't ask permission yesterday, Rishel," Papa said sternly.

I lost my smile. "I forgot, Pa. Sorry."

"Who drove you home yesterday?" he asked.

"Uh..." I remember what happened yesterday. After the gig, I said goodbye to Maingey. I took a taxi home from Boljoon. I shrugged. "I know how to commute, Pa. Don't worry."

"I was just worried that you might get attacked. There are a lot of bad people nowadays, always causing trouble in the public." Dad shook his head. "Criminals are no longer afraid to make trouble in the public eye. Even if the sun is still up, you can still be stabbed in a crowded place."

"You are scaring your daughter," said Mama.

Papa frowned. "What I'm saying is true. There's a news reported recently that someone shot his friend in front of the store where many people were watching. Tsk tsk. He didn't hesitate to hide his face."

"Maybe too angry with the victim," I said while taking a spoonful of rice.

After we ate breakfast, I went straight to the room. I opened my phone and received a series of texts from my classmates and schoolmates. Alas, Tiden and June stop contacting me. Luckily, yesterday at the concert, I saw them. But June seems to be angry with me because he ignored me. Tiden, on the other hand, yelled at me. I snorted.

I don't know what happened why they hate me. Our relationship was fine when I said goodbye to them yesterday. Maybe they are too stressed at work. I'd rather not talk to them.

But... I stared at Levi's number. I sighed and called.

"Rishel," he greeted. Levi's voice is quitelively? He seems happy now.

I smiled. "Hi! Thank you for the good performance yesterday." I tucked a strand of hair in my ear and happily recalling our beautiful performance, the reason why Papa has a big smile plastered on his lips earlier.

"Welcome. Why did you call?" he asked.

I looked down. "Nothing at all. I just want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to perform on stage."

"Rishel," he suddenly call my name.

"Why?"

"If you'll be given a chance to work with us, will you join us?"

I was silent for a few seconds before speaking. "Are you kidding?"

"No, I'm serious. The management saw your potential. They're curious about you."

I bit my lip hard. "What about Nicole?"

"Don't think of Nicole, okay? If they want you in, it's because you have a talent." I heard him sigh. "I've sent your contact number to our management. Maybe later, you'll receive a call from them. Please tell me what's your decision later, Rishel."