Chapter 28

"The next food ration is at twelve o'clock," he said. He placed the tray on the bedside table. "Do you need anything else?" he added.

I shook my head and sighed. The wounds I got that night were painful even after I took painkillers. The nurse approached the bed and put a pillow on the headboard for me to lean on.

I closed my eyes and asked. "Have you contacted my parents?"

"Not yet. But the department is trying to retrieve your cellphone data." He glanced at me for a moment. "You really don't memorize your parents' numbers?"

I shook my head. But I stopped when I remembered something. "That friend of mine. I memorized his number."

"Good." He picked up the pen and paper hanging at the foot of the bed. "Write the contact number and we'll tell your friend you're here."

"Okay thank you."

I accepted the paper and pen and wrote down Tiden's number. His number is the only thing I memorized on my contact list. Suddenly, I stopped writing for a moment. I missed Tiden who was so overprotective. If he's there with me, I might not be in this mess. How are they now?

I gave the nurse the piece of paper. He smiled. "Do you want to ask something?" he asked when he noticed that I hesitated for a moment.

"Who paid my hospital bills?"

He smiled again. "SPO2. He is now your guardian. But when your parents are here, he will return to the precinct."

I was silent for a few seconds. "Thank you, Nurse."

"SPO2 is outside the E.R. He's sleeping so I didn't wake him up."

I smiled and nodded at him. He said goodbye and attended to another patient. I looked down at the food he brought. Even though I have no appetite because what happened last night is still fresh in my mind, but I need to eat to carry on.

"Miss?"

I looked up. A man was standing at the foot of the bed. He was wearing a uniform and I guessed he was that policeman. "Sir, thank you for saving me. Do you need anything?"

He smiled and walked towards me. He looked down at my gauze knee. "I have a few questions. If it's okay with you, I would like to ask you," he said and took out a small notebook and pen. He opened it and started writing.

I was silent for a few seconds before nodding. "All right."

"Where are you from? And how did you end up in that place?"

"I'm from Boljoon. I fell asleep in the jeep yesterday and woke up already in the rice field. And I got off immediately. I didn't know that there wasn't much public transportation going through that area."

He nodded. "Nobody really passes by except for a few who want to take a short cut. That's not the main road to Oslob."

I played with my fingers. "Is that so?"

He closed his eyes. "Do your parents know you're here?"

"Not yet. But I have passed on my friend's number. He will tell my parents."

He nodded then stared at me for a moment. "No one else was seen around except for some footprints in the mud. Did anything else happen other than the report?"

My jaw clenched and I took a deep breath. "There are people who want to chase me to do me harm but they did not succeed in their evil plans, Sir." I looked at him. "I hope you don't tell my parents what I confessed here. I don't want them to worry too much."

His eyes narrowed. "If that's what you want, Miss." He cleared his throat. "Can you describe what happened that night, Miss?"

My lips became a line. "The area is dark, there are no other houses except the shining mansion in the middle of the rice field. When it rained, the side of the road became muddy so I fell down. To get out of the mud I had to crawl to the paved part. There was no other car passed by except for one car whose driver didn't even get down to help me." My fist clenched.

"Do you remember the car's plate number?"

I looked at the police officer. "Why, Sir? Can he be charged?"

The officer laughed wildly and nodded. "Not like that. The driver didn't commit a crime but..." He glanced at me again. "We can trace the owner of the car."

My two eyebrows met slightly at what he said. I know he's just saying that for assurance. He probably thought I was just like a child who should be given candy to stop complaining. But I know that what he offers is something in return.

I sighed. "Don't, Sir. I don't want to pursue this issue any further."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw his shoulders relax. Huh. The corners of my lips rose. I am right that this man wants to close the case as soon as possible. I'm not surprised anymore.

Even though I was delirious last night when I was rushed to the hospital, I heard the conversation between the two officers. They are said to have been negligent and they are afraid to raise the case in the high court because the negligence of the officers assigned to that area will surely be exposed.

I think that the municipality did not waste time on the protection and security of that area. Corruption is one of the reasons.

I just looked at the man's bulk as he walked away. My eyes squinted. I'm sure the security in that place will be ignored again especially since this case is not serious. But if the vagrants succeed in their evil plans towards me, the officers will definitely take security in the area seriously and Papa will scour the entire country to find those vagrants.

After a few minutes, I laid down and closed my eyes.

I WAKE UP to the familiar voices. I opened my eyes and looked at the person who had been asking questions to the doctor. Mom's face was red with annoyance.

"Say my daughter is not handicapped, Doc!"

"Madam, it's not too serious."

"I don't believe it! Look at her, she's so dirty! Her knees are still covered in gauze!"

"Rebecah," Papa stopped Mama's voice from rising higher. "My wife is just worried, Doc. Thanks for your service."

The Doctor said goodbye and Mama drew a breath before turning right to me. Her eyes widened and she quickly approached the bed. She asked me questions that made my head hurt.

She only stopped asking me when someone cleared a throat. My parents looked at the police who helped me last night. He patiently explained to my parents what happened and I let him. I'm tired of thinking of excuses.

They talked outside the E.R so I was left alone with the other patients. Fortunately, the green curtains covered my bed. It's embarrassing that Mom was making a lot of noise earlier.

I waited a few minutes before someone opened the curtain again. When I lookedup, a serious Tiden appeared to me. "Does it hurt?" he asked.

I was about to sit down but he stopped me. I smiled softly. "Thanks?"

"What happened?" he asked, but I could hear the suppressed anger in his voice.

I told him exactly what I told the police.

Tiden sighed and ruffled my hair. "Be careful next time," he said.

I smiled. "Yes, but shouldn't you be in Bohol right now?"

The corners of his lips rose. "I traveled to see you." He blew out air. "Do you know how worried I was when the hospital called to say you were here?"

I shook my head. "It's okay when you let my parents know that I'm here. You don't have to come here but..." I looked at him. "Thank you very much, Tiden."