Cupids and Dinners

Arjun's POV:

We sat with Mantri Ji and Sruthi Ji to speak about Kia and Anshu tonight. I and Arohi were so scared this morning seeing both of them with red eyes.

" Baithiye Dalvi Sahab aur Arohi Ji, aap bhi." Mantri Ji said and I sat there patiently.

" Hum andar jaate hain." Arohi said and I nodded. Sruthi Ji and Arohi went inside while Rajat ji made himself a drink requesting me to have one.

" Nahi Mantri Ji. Main nahi peeta hoon." I dismissed laughing.

" Kya baat karna hain aapko?" Rajat ji asked pulling both his legs up and making himself comfortable.

" Why don't you like Kia Mantri ji? She is your daughter. Isn't she?" I asked taking a deep breath.

" What kind of a question is that Dalvi Sahab? Kia is my daughter and I love her." He looked kind of pissed at my remark.

" But all you and Sruthi Ji did from the start is hurting her." I said and he nodded no.

" I don't accept with you, Dalvi Sahab. We always thrived to give the best to Kia." He said and I disagreed with him.

" You did but you never gave her your time. She always tried to please you and Sruthi Ji but your comments always turned her down." I said and he looked at his glass.

" Do you know what she took as her major?" I asked and he looked away.

" You know Mantri Ji, she tried to walk in the path you walked and she studied Economics and Public Relations. She used to come to me and ask me with a glint, Arjun do you know what I chose? I chose Public Relations for Papa and I know Mumma will feel bad too. So, I took Finance as my minor subject. She used to score very well in her initial semesters but what happened later?" I asked.

He looked at me and I could see an ounce of guilt in his eyes, for his daughter.

" She always used to say, Arjun, I'll be like Papa. He is my role model and all. She is such an idiot na, she doesn't know that her parents don't have time for her. I've seen her painting so well; she loves kids and helping them. But what happened? She suppressed all her desires and tried everything to be you. But in the end, she gave up. Everything. She turned aloof." I spoke and I saw him gulping. A thin sheath of tears glided his eyes, making me feel bad.

" I'm so grateful for you Dalvi Sahab, for looking after her." He mumbled and his voice broke in the middle.

" No, I don't want to your gratitude Mantri Ji." I smiled holding his hand.

" Let me tell you another thing, if not for Kia, I wouldn't have approached Arohi and my son. She did this Kaand because of which I'm so happy today. And I want my children happy too." I consoled him.

" I'm such a bad father. Ain't I Dalvi Sahab?" He asked looking at the sky.

" If you are a bad father, I'm too Mantri Sahab." I said thinking about those days when I left Arohi and Anshu to deal with themselves alone.

" Why are you saying this now?" He asked and I sighed.

" Kia and Anshu are not on good terms and I don't us to be involved in their matter until they come to us." I said.

" But the kids were at least on talking terms right?" He asked and I nodded no.

" All I want to convey is Mantri Ji that I want Kia to share something or the other with you or Sruthi Ji. Is me or Arohi get involved in this and for instance support Anshu, she might feel bad that we took our son's side and not hers. Please arrange a dinner tomorrow and call them. Try to initiate some conversation with her. She might open up. I hope Sruthi Ji can take some time for her." I suggested and he nodded.

" I don't know that parents have to plan all these behind the children's backs." He jested and I laughed.

24 hours passed so quick and I along with Arohi sat on the couch. Kia just came back from the NGO and removed her scarf. I messaged Mantri Ji that she came and there was a call on Ki's mobile the next second.

" So quick!" Arohi remarked and I had to smile.

Anshu's flight must have landed by now. He left to Banglore for some recording and he had to be home by 7:30 may be.

Kia hurriedly pulled out her phone and lifted the call. I'm just sad that she is not loved by her father but she is scared of him.

" Ji Papa." She said in a stoic voice.

" Aaj?" She asked and sighed biting her lower lip. There was a contemplation in her eyes and I know what it is. She turned to us and both Arohi and I turned towards the TV.

" Ji, I will come but I'm not sure about Siddhansh. He hasn't yet returned and he might be tired. It might be midnight when he gets back home." She said and I internally gasped. Arohi's situation must be the same too.

What a liar!

"But Papa!" She tried saying something but looked at her screen next. Mantri Ji might have cut the call.

She hurriedly rushed to her room and I could hear a loud thud.

"Plan accomplished partner. It's time to coax Anshu now." I asked shaking hands with my wife.

" You are the best cupid." She squealed and kissed my cheek making me go all red.

I called Anshu and asked him when he would be back and to my good heart, he said he'll be home in 30 minutes.

" OK Anshu, I need to tell you something," I said and he hummed. My son sounds so tired.

" Mantri Ji invited both you and Kia for dinner tonight and Kia is already ready," I said earning a pinch and a glare from my wife.

" OK." Came his dry answer before ending the call.

With Love
introvert_2001

Word Count: 1058.