Pick Ups and Huggings

Anshu's POV:

If she thinks I'm dumb to see that she doesn't have money, then she is wrong. I saw her checking her bank balance which showed Rs. 68. It pained my heart to see how she spent such a huge amount to gift something valuable to my parents.

How can someone be so adorable when they ask for money? I'm not sure whether the money I gave her will be sufficient or not but I wish she ask me anything like she have asked me for some money today.

" What are you thinking about?" Asked Papa who changed into casuals.

" Umm... Nothing Papa." I answered feebly. If I look into his eyes, he will extract the truth.

" Kia called me." He said and I looked up to him.

" She will be landing at 3 in the morning. If you don't mind, will you pick her up? You know, the whole wedding thing is hectic and..." Papa paused looking at me puzzled. Does he wants to embarrass me or what?

" Don't worry. I'll pick her up but don't do something whose result will be my sister or brother." I mumbled and he laughed.

" Anshu?" Mumma screamed hitting on my stomach.

" Did you forgive me?" I asked my Mumma and she pouted. She hugged me to her stomach and I circled my hands around her.

" I apologised to her this afternoon at the airport. Her face was stoic but I'm sure she'll forgive me. Please talk to me." I pleaded and she kissed my forehead. I felt a soft hand on my head and I know it's Papa's.

I slept till 2 and started for the airport. She came and slept in the car. I dropped her at her home and she didn't even turn back or thanked me.

I sighed and left the place.

I've got a few chances in movies and Mumma and I shifted to Papa's home renting the home we used to live in. Kia visits occasionally and she is restricting herself from coming here as I and Mumma have started living here. She sometimes confuses me with Papa as I sleep in his and Mumma's room a few times. There was a time when I slept just in a short and she pulled the duvet off me. That was the most embarrassing thing.

She always calls Mumma Bahu and asks her to cook well for Papa and Me. She looks cute but her work makes her cranky sometimes. She works so hard. I've seen her paint a few times from my window and she always shields it with a cloth if it's half done.

We are having breakfast and suddenly Kia barged inside. She looked like a total mess. Her hair was dishevelled, with crumbled clothes, and swollen eyes. Papa immediately got up from his chair and rushed to her.

" Arjunnnn." She cried and Papa hugged her. She crumbled down and Mumma and I got up.

" What happened to my baby? Why does she look like this?" Papa asked her in the softest tone.

" They... Th...ey burn...nt ma..ma..my paint...ings. They ca..called me u...use...less. He... he..." She tried to say showing her cheek and shock was an understatement. She was slapped. There is a hand print on her cheek which turned out into a purple bruise.

" I... I don...n't wa.n..nt to go the....here. Please." She cried holding Papa.

" Kia?" I gently called her touching her head but she flinched in Papa's arms.

" I won't harm you. Calm down, darling." I said caressing her cheek gently to which she hissed.

" I don't wa...ant to mar...marry." She cried hiccing up badly.

" You don't have to my baby." Papa's voice cracked.

" They a...are for...cing me to.... mar..ry. He is... I... don't li...ike him.." She cried curling into a ball.

" I'll talk to your father Kia." Papa assured while Mumma looked a bit concerned. I took Kia to my room and let her rest while Papa looked too furious to be controlled.

" Anshu, look after Kia. We'll be back." Mumma said and my heart started drumming.

Mumma called Sruthi Aunty and she said that Uncle left for Assembly.

" We would like to meet you both in the evening if you both are available." Mumma spoke turning the mobile on speaker.

" Ji Arohi ji. Main and Rajat 8'o clock ke baad free rahenge. I hope Kia is with you." She asked about Kia at last which kinda angered me. I patiently explained everything to her and yet she let her husband pull this stupid stunt?

" Nahi. Kuch hua kya? Kia tho hamare saath nahi hain." Mumma said almost controlling her anger.

" Nahi. Kuch bhi nahi hua. Bachchi kabhi kabhi bahar chele jaati hain bina bataye. Tho puchi. Hamesha Arjun Bhai ke paas doud ke chelejati hain na. Isiliye." She answered and I took a deep breath. What a liar!

" Ok, then Sruthi Ji. I and Arjun along with Anshu will meet you in the evening." Mumma said before ending the call.

" I can't take this anymore Arjun. Bachchi bohot toxic environment main rah rahi hain. She needs some space from these people." Mumma said agitated.

" I like Kia." I said gathering some courage.

" We know." Both said at the same time.

" I want to marry her." I said again and my whole body is warm with goosebumps.

" Shaadi hain vo Anshu. Koi toy nahi hain ki tum mangoge aur hum dilayenge." Mumma said in a higher octave and I gulped.

" Listen Anshu, the wedding is such a huge responsibility and we know that you love her. Will be able to handle that huge responsibility? You know right, Kia doesn't believe in marriage? Can you take that? Will you be able to take her hate if we marry her to you forcefully? You might bear her silence for a few days or months, but what about the remaining life? You will crave something which she will never give." Papa said softly and I know he is speaking from the experience.

" Spending time, appreciating her, believing in her and communicating are the 4 columns to rekindle any relationship, Papa. I'd try everything with her if I really want her. And I really do. I like her or maybe I LOVE her." I said firmly. There was a small smile that is threatening to break Mumma's lips.

" He is really your son Arjun." She whispered before leaving for the studio room.

With Love ❤️
introvert_2001

Word Count: 1105.