25 Lightning

It felt like we were baking in an oven during the day, but the moment the sun went down it was exactly the opposite. The wind is strong and the air is freezing.

We sat around a fire under some wreckage, Winston's death, still fresh in our minds. I watched the flames dance as I lay on Newt chest and he played with my hair. I always felt safe with Newt.

Aris dropped some more wood into the fire, making sparks fly.

    "I thought we were supposed to be Immune." Minho said not looking away from the fire.

    "No all of us, I guess." Teresa said.

    "If Winston can get infected, we should assume so can the rest of us." Newt spoke.

     "I never thought I'd say it... I miss the Glade." Frypan said.

———

The moment the sun started to rise we started walking. Just like the day before it was boiling. Only now we had no shelter. There was nothing in between us and the mountains except for a very long walk. I tried to keep my skin covered from the sun. Sweat dripped from my forehead.
The hours stretched on in the mountains, never looked closer. We were running low on water and food.

The next night we lay on the hard sand, there wasn't any wind, but it was still cold, not as cold as the night before.

    "Get up!" I hear Thomas cough. "Newt, get up. Come on, let's go. Frypan, Aris."
I sit up it was barely morning, grey clouds were overhead.

    "Thomas what's going on?" I ask him rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

    "I see something." Thomas said.
I looked towards the mountains and saw faint lights in the distance. I don't believe it at first.

   "Whoa, what is it? What..." Minho yawned.

     "You see that?" Thomas pointed. "It's lights."

    "We made it." Minho said.

But like all good things something bad always had to happen. There was a loud crack of thunder.
We looked behind to see angry, storm, clouds, violent lightning. The storm was approaching us quickly.

    "Let's go. We gotta go. Come on." Thomas said none of us liked the look of that storm.
Quickly, we grabbed our packs and started running.

I looked behind me, the storm clouds made it as dark as night, lightning was frequent and close, hitting the ground.
We heard the bangs one after another, the flashes lit up the ground as we ran.

    "HURRY!" Thomas yelled.

     "Go!" I shout.

     "Run!" Teresa screamed.

We ran across the empty land. The lights got more clear, and we could see the outline of a building.
Lightning crackled above us.

    "Keep moving! Come on!" Thomas yelled.

    "Let's go!" Minho shouted.

Lightning hit the ground only a couple feet away, creating a crater.

    "Come on, Teresa! Go, go, go!" Thomas yelled.

We were getting closer. 

    "Keep going!"

Another bolt hit the ground to the right shaking the ground throwing us back. Newt pulled me up and we continue to run.

    "Get inside! Go!" Thomas yelled.

There was a loud bang I looked behind to see Minho and Thomas thrown to the ground.

Thomas was screaming, at first screaming, but then yelled Minho's name.

Thomas was over top of Minho's body beating out fire.

  Newt, Aris and I sprinted back.

    "Come on, get him up." Newt yelled as we pulled Minho's unconscious body up. "Go." Newt told me.
I looked for it at Teresa and Frypan, yelling at us to hurry.
I ran up to them quickly, helping them pull the door open.

    "Move!" Frypan shouted. "Come on! Hurry up!"

Newt, Aris and Thomas reached the door, Newt and Aris supporting Minho's body.
Frypan shut the door behind them.

They lay Minho's body down on the cold floor.

    "Give me a light!" I call.

   Quickly, Newt clicked on a flashlight, shining it down on Minho. Everyone gathered around, looking at him.
His clothes had burnt marks, and the ends of his hair. He was lucky he wasn't hit directly by the lightning.

    "Minho, come on." I feel for a pulse.

    "Come on, Minho." Aris and the other boys called.

     "Come on, man." Newt pleaded.

Minho let out a groan and we all sigh relieved.

    "There he is." Aris smiled.

    "Here you are. Are you okay?" Thomas asked as Minho looked around confused.

    "What happened?" Minho asked looking at his fingers.

    "I think you got struck by lightning." Thomas told him.

    "Oh." Minho smiled.
We laughed at his reaction.

    "Let's get you up." I say.

     "Nice and slow." Newt told us as we gently lifted that Minho. "Let's get him up."

   "How are you feeling?" I ask him he didn't exactly need to answer bye the simple movement of us trying to sit him up he winced. But Minho is strong and he insisted on standing.

    "Do you think you can get up?" Frypan asked. And Minho gave a nod.
We helped him up, making sure he wouldn't fall before letting him go.

    "Thanks guys." Minho smiled.

    "Hey." Teresa whispered. "What's that smell?"

I didn't notice the smell before, but now I do. Rotting flesh.

There was a scream. Return to see a Crank. We all scream backing up away from it.
The Crank desperately trying to get to us, but couldn't, it was being held back by a chain.

    "Behind you!" I shine my flashlight towards Thomas. He looks to see more Cranks running at us, but like the other one being yanked back by a chain.

We stay huddled close together as another Crank reach for us on the other side, the whole room filled with the cries of the Cranks, all of them chained up. We looked in front of us to see over 20 Cranks all of them chained up to something and after us.

   "I see you've met our guard dogs." A female voice spoke.