10 The Girl

I ran out but remembering what Jeff suggested I went slower than usual. Gally and Newt reached the Box first and soon basically all the Gladers were standing around the Box. Gally and Newt open the Box doors and Newt jumps down. He looks up with a confused and surprised expression.

"Newt what do you see?" Frypan asked.

"It's a girl" Newt says.

I lean in to get a better look well so did all the boys, and there she was a girl laying unconscious on the floor of the metal Box. There was nothing else inside, only her.
I didn't like that most of the boys were claiming her, saying that 'she is mine' and 'I call her. '

"I think she's dead." Newt spoke.

"What's in her hand?" Gally asks beside me.

Newt carefully bent down and took the paper out of her hand.

"She's the last one ever. What the hell does that mean?" Newt asks.

Suddenly the girls eyes shot open gasping for air.

"Thomas.... (Y/n)." She gasps before going back unconscious.

I could feel everyone's eyes on me and Thomas.

"You still think I'm overreacting?" Gally asked.

"Clint, Jeff take her to the Med-hut. No one touched her and if she does anything you tell me or Newt." I say, knowing some of these boys are animals and I didn't want them near her.

———————

She was brought to the Med-hut. Newt, Thomas, Minho and I went to check on her.
We passed by Alby, I don't think he was awake yet but he was breathing very heavy.

    "Jeff. What's going on?" Newt asked. "What's the matter with her? Why won't she wake up?"
We walked up to her, she was lying in a bed in a separate room.

    "Hey, man, I got my job the same way you did." Jeff answered.

    "Well, do you recognize her?" Newt asked Thomas. Newt already asked me if I recognized her before we came in, I told him no, and he trusted me.

      "No." Thomas shook his head.

     "Really? Because she seemed to recognize you." Newt said.

     "What about the note?" Thomas wondered.

      "Yeah, we'll worry about the note later." Newt told him.

    "I think you should worry about it now." Thomas said.

     "We've got enough to deal with at the moment." Newt answered.

     "He's right, Newt." Jeff spoke. "If the Box isn't coming back up, how long do you think we can last?"

     "No one said that. Let's not jump to any conclusions. We'll just..... We'll just wait until she wakes up and see what she knows. Somebody's gotta have some answers around here." Newt said.

     "Okay." Thomas turned.

    "And where are you going?" Newt asked.

     "Back into the Maze." Thomas answered, leaving the hut.

Minho sighed and followed after him.

—————

"There is something I've been thinking about recently." I spoke.

      "What's that?" Newt asked.

"I want to be a Runner again." Look at him.