Part 45

Dear Diary,

Waking up to the disturbing sounds of screams and shouts outside, I quickly realized that something was off in the hood. With curiosity and concern, I headed outside, towards the commotion to figure out what was happening. As I approached the scene, I saw a man lying on the road, surrounded by a circle of people who held sticks and bricks in their hands.

I listened closely as one man explained to another that the reason for the violent scene was that the man on the ground had allegedly stolen shoes and shirts from him. The crowd had taken it upon themselves to deliver a harsh lesson to the accused thief.

My emotions churned as I witnessed this scene unfold. While there was no doubt that stealing is wrong and has consequences, I couldn't help but feel a sense of discomfort at the brutality of the situation. Yes, the man had committed a crime, but did the punishment fit the crime? Shouldn't there be a better way to address such matters, perhaps through proper legal channels?

Namibia, like many places, is not immune to petty theft. It struck me that the desperation caused by unemployment rates could be contributing to the rise in such crimes. People resort to stealing even the smallest items, like socks from a hanger, in an effort to survive. It's a stark reminder of the economic challenges that many face, where even basic necessities are hard to come by.

In this complex web of issues, unemployment seems to be a significant contributor to the increase in crimes. When individuals lack opportunities to earn a living, some might resort to criminal activities out of desperation. As the cycle continues, the overall crime rates rise, affecting the community's safety and well-being.

The incident I witnessed this morning made me reflect on the importance of fostering a society where individuals have access to opportunities and support systems that deter them from engaging in criminal activities.

Or what do you think?

Until next time

Iyaloo