Part 33

Dear Diary,

So, today I went to the bank, right? As I stood in the seemingly endless queue, my patience wore thin as I noticed an elderly granny, leaning on her cane for support, standing in the longest line. It was as if she was invisible to the bustling crowd around her, a painful scene that struck a chord within me.

I couldn't seem to take how everyone could simply disregard her presence, especially considering her age and frailty. It made me question the state of humanity and wonder if the values we once held dear have been overshadowed by the fast-paced modern world. How could we forget the respect and care we owe to our elders? Have we become so absorbed in our routines that we've lost sight of those who should be treasured?

Fueled in disappointment, I approached one of the ladies at the teller's counter, unable to keep my feelings to myself. I asked her, rather indignantly, whether she couldn't see the elderly woman who had been standing there for who knows how long. In response, she calmly told me that everyone in the queue deserved fair access to the bank's services, and that no one should be prioritized solely based on age.

It was a response that hit me hard, shaking me to my core. Was this really the world we live in now? Shouldn't we be seeking blessings from those who have lived longer and have more wisdom to share? Has our progress and so-called civilization blinded us to the point where we can't even recognize the needs of the elderly? Because I know these people are always prioritized where ever they go. Perhaps the person I spoke to was going through things, she didn't even look happy.

The contrast between my youthful vitality and the granny's aged fragility couldn't have been starker. It seemed illogical that as a young person, I would be standing in line ahead of her. Shouldn't it be the other way around? My frustration only grew as I watched her grow more tired and weary by the minute, all because of the indifference of those around her.

In a moment of impulse, when the client the teller was attending to was done, I reached out and held the granny's hand, guiding her to the front of the line. It was a decision made out of sheer empathy and a sense of moral duty. I couldn't bear to see her suffer any longer, and I was willing to face any consequences for my actions. As I helped her take her rightful place at the front of the queue, I noticed the glances and stares from the onlookers. Some faces reflected shock and disapproval, but many more carried expressions of silent agreement. It was as if my actions had given voice to their own unspoken sentiments.

In a world that sometimes feels so divided, this small act of kindness felt like a reminder that compassion and respect should know no boundaries. It's a story I had to share with you, Diary.

Yours,

Iyaloo