Back At Homebase

Kevin's vision was blurred as he gazed at Melanie and Red's girls ahead of him. The biting cold air enveloped them, accompanied by the cacophony of traffic noise and their own grunts mixed with heavy breathing. Despite the pain, Kevin found their exertion endearing, and a soft groan escaped him, attempting to stifle a laugh. However, instead of amusement, the groan only caused him to wince and tears welled up in his eyes.

Their synchronized heavy breathing provided a strangely soothing and comforting rhythm against Kevin's neck, offering a welcome warmth on this chilly, windy day. As they ran through the narrow pavements and streets, their footsteps echoed throughout the surroundings. They skillfully hopped over and dodged the anticipated traffic, crossing sidewalks and roads. Cars from various groovy stores and family markets, even Home Depot with its assortment of furniture and construction equipment, pulled out onto the streets.

Kevin lifted his head, straining to catch a glimpse of the girls, their heavy breaths directed towards him as they carried his battered body to safety. His vision faltered, weakened by blurriness, and the last thing he saw was a worried family. Their adorable toddler daughter, dressed in a bunny-like outfit, held hands with her father and mother, while her older brother, towering over her, made his way to middle school. Everything else about the family, from their expressions to the questions they might have had, faded into the background of Kevin's surroundings.

He was completely defeated, unconsciousness claiming him as he succumbed to his injuries. In that moment, he couldn't tell if he was alive or dead, only aware of the numbing sensation and the excruciating pain coursing through his body. Overwhelmed by exhaustion, he felt an overwhelming drowsiness wash over him – a profound weariness that whispered him into a deep sleep.

Kevin groaned as he woke up, his head throbbing with pain. He reached his left hand through his light brown, long hair, feeling the waves of his hair beneath his fingertips. Massaging his temple in a back-and-forth motion, Kevin lifted his head from the softness of the pillow, as if being released from a vacuum, and the wrinkled bed transformed into a complete, fluffy haven. A faint groan escaped his lips as he took in the disarray of the bed, with the red vegetable-patterned blankets crumpled in rippled wrinkles.

Kevin's vision was blurry, making it difficult to discern his surroundings. He could vaguely sense that he was not in a hospital room, which would have been expected given the injuries he remembered from some time ago. The setting sun's rays filtered through the dorm room, casting shades of light and tiny white specks resembling butterflies or sparkling lights. A lone sunbeam stretched across the floor, blessing the white walls with its presence. Outside the window, passing clouds occasionally cast shadows, including a more direct one that fell upon Kevin as he stood near the window frame. He groaned, trying to focus his gaze, and noticed another bed similar to his own, but unoccupied, through his blurred vision.

Seeing anything clearly was a challenge, but Kevin realized that he was not in critical condition, although he was in considerable pain, as if he had just endured a fresh beating. He lay back down on his pillow, pulling the red blankets over himself, trembling slightly as he tried to find some rest. His breathing came in huffs and puffs, accompanied by soft whimpering, as he sought solace in the temporary respite.

Kevin sank softly into the bed, feeling the plushness grasp and conform to his body, providing a comforting embrace that momentarily eased his mind. The pain he was experiencing made him whimper, resembling a puppy yearning for its owner after being separated for hours. He longed for the solace of cuddles and gentle reassurance.

Attempting to rest his weary eyes, Kevin struggled to close them, his lids slowly descending in small increments. Just as they were halfway shut, his eyes widened abruptly, and he heard noises emanating from outside the doorway. The sound resembled the loud slamming of metal, followed by hushed conversations and laughter.

Among the voices, Kevin discerned that of a young girl. "Hey, check it out! I can bench press this much!"

An audible grunt followed, accompanied by a male response. "Oh yeah? Watch this then!"

The metallic slamming sounds persisted, punctuated by periodic thuds and laughter. The cacophony grated on Kevin's ears, akin to the shrill scrape of nails on a chalkboard. The repetitive clanging of metal being lifted and dropped made Kevin feel as if he could almost taste the tang of sweat and tears in the air. Overwhelmed by the noise in his current state, he whimpered and groaned, tears welling up in his eyes.

The workout competition between the two individuals outside Kevin's dorm was the last thing he needed at that moment. His heightened senses made every sound seem amplified, causing discomfort in his head. Determined to find respite, Kevin formally closed his eyes, seeking solace in sleep or a retreat into his own thoughts. He questioned why he hadn't been taken to a hospital room, at the very least, instead of being brought back to his dormitory at home base, pondering the circumstances that led to his current beaten state.