EIGHTEEN - Sir Hopper the Fearless Bunny

Note: Little Isabella is making a reappearance. She's adorable and loves bunnies. 🐰 And Daddy Knux is stealing a part of my heart.

Also, thank you for all the comments and cheers in the last chapter <3

Iron Knuckles

An almost leaden exhaustion hit Knux as soon as he stepped into the club house with Isabella still sleeping in his arms. The adrenaline from the morning had faded and taken a lot of his worries away and now he only wanted to sleep.

With a loud sigh he lowered himself and Isabella onto one of the bigger sofas in the living room and closed his eyes.

"Go to bed," Duke said, "you both seem to need it. She has hardly dared to sleep at the hospital."

"Hmm," Knux hummed in reply.

He didn't open his eyes.

"We'll catch up tonight," Hazzard agreed, "most of the others had to go back to work."

"Hmm."

Knux was too tired to say anything else. He would thank his friends later for coming to support him at the trial.

With a last gathering of energy, he managed to lay down on the sofa, with Isabella resting on top of him, before he was fast asleep mere seconds later.

***

When he woke up again, it was clearly much later in the day. Knux could hear people moving around in the room and close by, speaking in hushed tones. The noise from the kitchen gave the impression that someone was making food. He noticed gentle fingers scratching the skin on his chest that could be reached by putting your hand in the opening between two buttons of his dress shirt. Isabella was obviously awake, she liked giving him light chest scratches. 

During their nap she had slid off his chest to the side, to be tucked safely between him and the backrest of the sofa. Her nose was still pressed into his neck though like she was hiding from the world.

Or maybe she just wanted to smell him.

Or both.

Either way, it felt good. Having her close made the worries and fears of the last months fade into the background. 

Knux lifted his hand from her waist to scratch her head and with the other he opened a couple of buttons on his shirt, so she could reach more of his skin. Isabella wasted no time and stuck half of her arm into his shirt. Knux had to smile a bit but didn't open his eyes. He wanted to soak up the cuddles a little while longer without having to focus on anything else. They had both gone without for too long.

They laid like this, while people around them where going on with their evening. The familiar sounds of people talking and joking, doors banging and the TV running were nice and welcoming.

Home.

Finally they were home again.

"Hey, you two sleepyheads, are you coming to eat dinner?" 

Helium's voice brought Knux out of the comfortable daze he had fallen into. She had spoken quietly, to not to surprise them. Opening his eyes, he saw her crouch next to the sofa. She smiled at them. Or rather at Knux, because Isabella was still hiding her face in his neck.