FOURTEEN - In pieces

Isabella

Isabella's finger moved nimbly over the white and black keys. Single notes mixed together into a skillfully arranged melody. She had been playing the same tune for the last few hours, but she hadn't notice the time passing by. Her focus was on perfecting the song. She wouldn't stop until she got it right.

There was no other thought in her head.

She had to get it right.

She had to be perfect.

Isabella was about to start again, when the door to her room opened. It startled her enough that her fingers slipped off the right keys, causing the piano to emit a sound that sounded off. She flinched at the noise and her hands started to shake involuntarily.

This wasn't what she expected to hear.

She had ruined it.

"Hey Izzy."

Isabella heard the voice of her sister but she was unable to react.

It wasn't perfect.

It wasn't even close to it.

Melody pulled a chair up next to her.

"What are you playing?"

Isabella's hand started to shake even more.

What was she supposed to do now?

She had to get it right.

"Hey, are you alright?" 

Melody grabbed Isabella's shaking hands. That made the younger sister's head snap to the side to look at Melody, who seemed concerned.

"Your hands are really cold," Melody continued.

Isabella didn't show any sign of acknowledging the words.

Gone was the quietness of her head, where was only space for the music she was creating. The chaos was back that couldn't be reigned in. 

Voices, images, noises, feelings.

"Mom has asked me to help you get ready. The Sturbingers are picking you up soon. Remember, you're going with them to the opening at the hospital?" Melody spoke calmly.

A memory of Isabella's mother telling her about the event appeared in her head. But it was followed by images her lying chest down on a hardwood desk, her father standing next to her with a belt in hand.

"I'm sure it will be nice. You like all this medical stuff. I'll make you look pretty."

Melody got up and pulled Isabella with her. Isabella's body just followed. On the outside there was no sign of the turmoil in her mind. 

"Let's look for a dress first," Melody decided and went over to Isabella's wardrobe.

Isabella let her sister put her into a baby pink shirt dress that used to be tight but now felt roomy. Melody then moved her over to the small vanity.

"Were you practicing one of the songs that Roman and Theresa want you to play with Anton?" 

Melody was very gentle while she cleaned Isabella's face with a wet cotton wipe. The soft touches made Isabella want to cry but she had been told to not cry and therefore no tears fell.

She nodded a little.

"It sounded very nice, but I always thought that your playing sounded great. I'm sure Roman and Theresa will love your and Anton's performance."

Melody moved to clean the skin on Isabella's neck. It was an automatic response that Isabella jerked back a little, even though she wasn't supposed to.

"Sorry," Melody said quietly. "You can do it yourself. But we need to cover the marks."