ELEVEN - Convenient excuses

Author's note: Isabella will be rather off for a while. Be kind to her.

Isabella

Isabella was staring out of the window in her room. She didn't know how long she had been standing there, swaying gently from side to side. Outside the sun was shining and the birds were singing but it didn't cause any emotion inside of the young woman. Her mind was empty like a blank sheet of paper.

It was blissful and calming.

"Get dressed!"

Isabella turned around at the command. She saw her mother pointing at a pile of clothes on top of her bed. It was a light blue dress and matching flat shoes. She saw that her mother was angry but again there was no reaction from the younger woman's side. The anger did nothing to her.

Without saying a word, Isabella walked over to the clothes and picked up the dress. She put it on, letting it slide over the bandages on her back. Moving around like this hurt but again a normal emotional response to pain didn't come. Isabella didn't flinch. She wasn't even bothered by it. Her mother had told her earlier that she wasn't allowed to flinch and thus Isabella didn't.

It was as simple as that.

"Comb your hair," her mother ordered after the dress was in place and the shoes on Isabella's feet, "and cover the bruises on your neck."

Isabella walked to her bathroom and did what she was told. She brushed her hair. When she accidentally pressed a bit too much on the bump on the back of her head, her right eye twitched a bit at the pain. She quickly schooled her face. She wasn't allowed to flinch.

Her mother came into the bathroom about ten minutes later. Isabella had put a thick layer of waterproof makeup on the hand shaped bruises around her neck. The same makeup she was using for covering the small tattoo on her ring finger. They weren't visible anymore.

"Let me take a look."

Isabella stepped in front of her mother and held still while she inspected the neck from all sides and then used a makeup brush to fix some spots. 

"Take your medicine and then follow me."

Isabella took the two pills that her mother held out for her. Swallowing hurt but again Isabella kept a straight face. Once the medication was gone, her mother turned on her heel and Isabella followed as she had been told to.

Her mother left Isabella's room and walked down the corridors towards the living room. Loud voices could be heard already from far away.

"Roman is here," her mother said. "You will show him that you're alright."

Isabella didn't react. 

"Did you hear me?" Her mother stopped walking and fixed her with an angry look.

Isabella also stopped but didn't do anything else. She had heard and understood the command.

"Isabella, nod if you understand!"

Isabella nodded. It seemed to make her mother more angry. But the anger didn't bother Isabella.

"You are useless." 

For a moment, Isabella wondered if she should nod again.