Chapter Thirty-Six: Cricket Tick

A/N: Sorry this chapter is so short . . . only 542 words . . . 

Cricket Tick took a deep breath before she opened the door to her sixth period class. She felt Blue give her a reassuring smile, but it did nothing to allay her concerns. First Moon, and now this?

She entered the class and immediately, her eyes fixed on her grandmother. Cadelle smiled, but the effect was menacing. "Why Cricket," she practically hissed, "I've missed you."

Cricket's tongue felt literally tied. It was a few minutes before she was able to work up the courage to say, "Well, I haven't missed you."

Cadelle clicked her tongue. "A horrible mistake, really. I am very missable."

Cricket decided to ignore that. She sat down, Blue next to her.

Cadelle paced the classroom. "Where is Miss Clearmoon?" she asked. "The rest of you are here."

Cricket and Blue glanced at each other, debating whether or not to respond. Then Blue said, "She's in the infirmary."

Cadelle looked like she wanted to laugh, which gave Cricket a serious inclination to punch her grandmother. She resisted the urge.

"May I ask why?" Cadelle inquired.

Blue explained what had happened in PE, and this time, Cadelle actually laughed aloud. "That is so Kestrel. She'll continue for the rest of the year. You'd better get used to it."

No one in the room seemed particularly happy about that, but no one had time to respond either, because Cadelle launched into her lesson.

Even to Cricket's ears, it was boring. Part of that was the fact that it was all review, but most was because of Cadelle's monotone lecture style. To think she'd been a little relieved she wouldn't have Webs. Cadelle might actually be worse, if such a thing was possible.

The class ended after an hour of lessons. Cadelle gave them an equivalent amount of homework, but unlike all the other teachers, she promised that they would have time to work on it later. It was almost enough to make Cricket think this class wouldn't be as bad as she'd thought, until Cadelle pulled her aside at the end of class.

"I need you to give a message to your mother," she said to Cricket.

Cricket glared at her. "And why would I do that?"

"Because you're a nice and helpful grandchild."

"But I'm not," Cricket said flatly. "When have I ever helped you?"

"Hmm. Good point. Perhaps this could give you some incentive." Cadelle leaned forward with a dramatic pause. "I can get Kestrel to make her workouts less . . . strenuous."

Cricket frowned. That was pretty good incentive. "All right," she said agreeably. "Tell me what the message is and maybe I'll deliver it."

Cadelle laughed, a surprisingly melodic sound. "Nice try." She pulled out an envelope and handed it to Cricket. "Either you deliver it or you don't. Don't open it or I'll know. And trust me . . ." Cadelle's eyes turned suddenly stormy. "You don't want the consequences."

Cricket tried to hand the envelope back. "I won't deliver it."

Cadelle wouldn't take it. "Oh, you will. You'll regret it if you don't."

Cricket gulped. This was why she hated her grandmother. "Fine," Cricket whispered, her voice barely audible. She wondered why she felt like this was such a monumental decision. "I'll deliver the note."