Chapter Seven: Lynx Frost

Lynx Frost sighed, leaning her head against the car window as her father pulled the car into the Target parking lot. She worried the list between her hands, staring at the names of all the expensive textbooks. She wondered how her father would ever afford them - though she knew that they already owned most of the less expensive things on the list.

She checked off all the stuff she already had. Lynx sighed again, knowing that she'd probably need to back out of a few competitions this season - the entry fees would cover the books.

Two dozen Ticonderoga pencils

A half dozen pink erasers

A dozen college-ruled notebooks

A dozen multicolored highlighters

A pair of scissors

A pencil case

One bottle of glue

Two glue sticks

One pack of colored pencils

One pack of multicolored pens

One pencil sharpener (either electric or hand)

One stapler

One tape dispenser and six rolls of tape

One roll of blue tape

One ruler

One pad of watercolor paper

One set of watercolor paints

One dictionary

One thesaurus

One laptop computer

One pair of headphones, earphones, or earbuds

One pair of tennis shoes

One backpack or binder with organized sections

Once the car was parked, Lynx hopped out of the car and followed her father into the store.

"What first?" Blizzard Frost asked.

Lynx checked the list. "Two dozen Ticonderoga pencils." She grabbed a cart and trailed Blizzard as he led her to the school supplies section.

It took them a bit to find everything on the list. After ten minutes, Lynx had everything up to the books.

"Where would tape be?" Lynx asked her father. "It's not here."

"Probably the home office section," Blizzard replied. They headed there, to find two familiar faces in the aisle.

"Hey," Luna Glimmer said. Her younger brother, Blue Glimmer, stepped out from behind her and smiled at Lynx. "Are you doing your school shopping too?" Luna asked, eyeing Lynx's full basket.

Lynx sighed. "Yep." She grabbed a roll of blue tape and a tape dispenser from the shelf. "Where's the clear tape?"

Blue pulled a roll of tape off a shelf behind him and handed it to her. "There's only seven left. Whomever comes after us isn't going to be happy."

"Why do we even need this much tape?" Lynx grumbled as she took the one he handed him and put it in her basket. She got the other five rolls of tape, and the three of them - plus Blizzard and Luna's mom, Silverspot - headed back to the school section to find the next things on their lists.