Chapter Twenty-One: Luna Glimmer

Yay! Finally, last perspective! 

Luna Glimmer stepped up to the registration desk ahead of her moms and Blue. "Hi, Luna Glimmer and Blue Glimmer," she said, not waiting for the Segara sitting there to ask. 

"Wow," he said, looking her up and down. "You're Resham." 

"Brilliant powers of deduction," Luna said curtly. This was what she hated. She'd gotten used to rudeness from Noctus, Glacees, and Kypselis, but the other races were usually better, as they were looked down on too. 

"Luna," Burnet interrupted sternly. She turned to the Segara. "I'm sorry. My daughter is - "

"Annoyed," Luna said, swatting Burnet out of the way as she interrupted. "As I said before, I'm Luna Glimmer. Jade Winglet - "

"I'm sure, I'm sure," the Segara said dismissively. "Moon, you said?" 

Luna felt herself turn red. "No, I said Luna," she snapped. "Luna Glimmer, Grade 10, Jade - "

"How'd you get into this school?" the Segara interrupted. "I mean, Reshams and Uas don't get in very frequently. Usually only about two per year." 

Luna sighed as Blue answered. "Our Weapons are rare," her brother said politely. Sometimes Blue was too polite. Well . . . more than sometimes. 

The Segara, who had asked the question, ignored the answer. "What were your names again?" 

"Blue and Luna Glimmer," Silverspot interjected. 

The Segara scrunched up his nose and looked at Blue. "Isn't Teal a Segaran name?" 

"He said 'Blue'," Luna snapped, shifting protectively in front of her brother. "Were you born incapable of listening or is that the kind of thing an idiotic bureaucracy taught you?" 

"Luna!" Silverspot, Burnet, and Blue all said in unison. 

She rolled her eyes. "What? It's not like Queen Wasp will kick me out. I'm too important." 

Burnet dragged Luna away to a corner as Silverspot and Blue continued to deal with the guard. "You can't just do that," she hissed. "Especially here. The Queen is too powerful. Besides, we're alive and we're together. We have each other. What can be better than that?" 

Luna flinched. Sometimes her mother was just like Blue. Calm. Content - too content, in Luna's opinion. So content that it was bordering on submissive. Burnet didn't understand. Yes, they were alive. Yes, they had friends. But . . . that wasn't enough. Luna didn't want to go into construction or work for an upper-class family like her mothers. She, on the other hand, wanted to weave for a living. She doubted the Kypselis would be very happy. And honestly, her power was to create fire. It was the whole reason she'd been accepted to Jade Preparatory Academy. So, Queen Wasp probably wouldn't be happy if she didn't use it in her job. 

"Fine," Luna said to her mom, thinking it would be easier to simply agree. Burnet would never understand. "I won't . . . annoy anyone. Aside from Blue. I get to annoy him, right?" She honestly wouldn't have put it past her mom to say she couldn't annoy her brother. 

Burnet sighed. "I doubt you'll stick to it, but I guess this is the best promise I'll get." She turned back to the registration desk, where Blue and Silverspot were motioning to them. 

Luna sighed as she followed her mother down the path of arrows. Things had to change. But . . . it might take a while.