Chapter Ten: Starflight Galaxy

Starflight Galaxy climbed into the backseat of his father's car with a sigh. His older sister Fierceteeth was in the front, texting her boyfriend, Strongwings.

"Are you excited for school, Starflight?" Starflight's father inquired, pulling the car out of their driveway, on the way to Jade Preparatory Academy.

Fierceteeth snorted. "Of course he is. He's a nerd, just like you. You teach, for goodness' sake. And you teach science."

Mastermind chose not to respond. Starflight ignored his father's question, not wanting to hear Fierceteeth's response to his answer.

But then as soon as they turned onto the highway, Mastermind voiced the question again. "Are you excited for school, Starflight?"

"Yes," he said truthfully.

Fierceteeth laughed almost maniacally, still typing on her phone. "Nerd," she taunted.

Starflight leaned against the window and attempted to ignore her. This was going to be a loooong drive. 

Both literally and figuratively. They were driving all the way from Cicada City to Wasp City - a whopping eight hours in a car. He wished they were flying, but they (a) didn't have the money, and (b) they couldn't put all the stuff they were taking on a plane. 

They were moving to Wasp City for the next nine months - the duration of the school year. The way they had ever since Mastermind had accepted a job at Jade Preparatory Academy two years earlier, the same year Starflight had started attending the academy. 

Starflight had not been happy about his father's new job.

For one, his father was not a very good teacher. He'd only been appointed because Queen Wasp trusted him to stick to the "approved" curriculum. For another, it meant that Starflight had to spend at least some time with his family while at school - his father insisted. And spending time with his father meant spending time with Fierceteeth. And Fierceteeth - 

"How's your homework coming along, nerd?" his sister asked. 

"There isn't homework," Starflight said tiredly. "Term hasn't started." 

"And you haven't already started studying?" she demanded, cockiness oozing through every word. "That's unlike a nerd like you." 

"Nerd isn't an insult!" Starflight snapped. "Stop using it as one!" He froze, surprised at the bravery of his own words. Responding to an insult like that was Tsunami's or Glory's thing, not his. In the rearview mirror, he saw Fierceteeth's eyes narrow with a malevolent rage that was only in her eyes right before she punched someone. But she wouldn't dare with Mastermind around . . . 

She didn't. She only huffed loudly and continued tapping away at her phone. 

Starflight allowed himself a small smile. Perhaps there was a way to deal with his sister after all.