Chapter 5: Niima Outpost

"Morning sleepy head!" Said Rey nudging Amilyn awake. Amilyn's eyes opened to see Rey above her kicking her arm.

"I'm up!"Amilyn said getting up and straightening her braid. Rey starred at her as she watched Amilyn attach the lightsabers to her belt. An odd mechanism worked in side the small handle to activate a crystal inside Rey presumed.

"How'd you get your lightsabers?" Rey asked Amilyn. "I mean I've learned that from stories Jedi build their weapons. How'd you build them." Amilyn detached the one on her right side. 

"This lightsaber I constructed was the one I made while training with my father. He gave us our kyber crystals. He set out thousands of different parts to make it work for our handle. I built from parts that had circular marks on the outside. But my crystal was different than the others. The others colors were blue and green. Very few were purple...mine thought..." Amilyn said activating the lightsaber showing the orange light that blazed through it.

"Orange?" 

"Odd right! My father never knew why it was that color, but it made my cousin Ben jealous it was that special from the others." Amilyn smiled at the memory. The excitement she had as she swung it around for the first time to test it. She deactivated the lightsaber reattaching it to her belt.

"What about the one on your left?" Rey asked with curiosity.

"I got this one from my cousins lightsaber. He gave into the dark side. I destroyed his lightsaber because the crystals called to me. Leia told me she had met only one other Jedi with this color of energy from the crystal." She activated the lightsaber as a silvery white shined to the ground.

"Fascinating!" Said Rey looking at the energy blazing from the handle. "You cousin Ben he's a....what's the word?"

"A sith warrior now." Amilyn told Rey as she deactivated her lightsaber and reattached it to her belt. "You've eaten a meal before me?" 

"No I only get meals till the end of the day. Usually a quarter portion of an old imperial with a polystarch bread. It's small, but it's all I get from Unkar Plutt." Rey told Amilyn grabbing a large stick, most likely a staff for Rey.

"This Unkar Plutt sounds like a complete bastard!" Said Amilyn making Rey laugh a little. Rey pulled on a pair of googles as she untied BB-8 from the small hammock. Thud! The small droid hit the floor and made a clunking of metal against metal. BB-8 beeped angrily at Rey.

"Well you were in a hammock what did you expect?" Rey asked the droid. BB-8 beeped his answer back at Rey. Rey rolled her eyes as she made her way to her small canteen of water.

"Hey, eat this." Said Amilyn giving Rey a ration bar. 

"Oh no! I can't except food you need." Began Rey trying to give it back to Amilyn

"No eat it. That's for helping me and BB-8. You deserve it." Amilyn said making Rey pull back. Rey but into the ration bar. 

"I've never had one but it's nice to have something else than some polystartch bread and vegetables." Amilyn smiled as Rey finished off the small sticks in the small packet. Rey threw the trash outside, which made sense since this was a wasteland. Rey walked outside and attached BB-8 to the side of her bulky red speeder.

BB-8 beeped out something in his frustration. "No! She's not capturing you! That was just an accident yesterday of what happened." Amilyn laughed at BB-8 who found ways to say the darnedest things.

"Hey hop on." Rey said to Amilyn as Rey climbed to the seat on the speeders back. Amilyn climbed up sitting behind Rey as the engine started. Rey pulled the levers back making the speeder move faster than anything Amilyn had ever known. The sand flowing like grands of it did when an hourglass was turned over. 

*flashback*

"That's the last part of the thrusters I have Amy." Said a young Poe looking as she built a small speeder.

"Thanks!" She said grabbing the thrusters. She went back underneath the speeder that was on platforms. She put the last few thrusters on the couplings. Her hair smelled of oil grease since she'd worked on it for 3 days straight. She'd pulled it back into a small braided bun, but strands of hair poked out from it.

"Finished!" She said excitedly sliding out of the small space underneath the speeder. She looked to Poe who was 20 at the time. He looked at the 18 year old Amilyn with a smile.

"Wow! In three days straight you built a full on speeder. You could be a mechanic!" Said Poe to Amilyn making her smile

"Hah! You know I'm a commander and is supposed to help with plan strategies and not get dirty like the others." Said Amilyn to Poe.

"Hey!" Said Leia behind Poe. "So my best pilot and niece are making a speeder just as we need you two."

"Sorry general."

"Sorry Aunt. I just wanted to show Poe his bet was wrong that I couldn't build something within a week." Explained Amilyn to her aunt.

"It's alright I'm only teasing." Leia studied the speeder. She saw every gadget or little mechanism fully functioning in their places. The gray colored speeder could work for better uses. She turned to her niece, impressed with Amilyn's skills.

"I'm impressed. 3 days this took you?" 

"Well I read a small manual before trying other wise that be too reckless of me." Amilyn told Leia.

"We could use that for carrying medical stuff to pilots who are injured."

"I agree general." Said Poe grinning at Amilyn.

"Now Poe! You better come with me because your father wants you out there." Said Leia to Poe.

"Yes general sir....I mean ma'am

*present time*

Rey dragged along the net filled with all sorts of left over scraps from the dead ships and walkers around the wastelands of the planet. A few gears, remotes, and a few bits of working button panels. "Unkar should at least find this enjoyable." Rey said to Amilyn who untangled a frustrated BB-8 out from the net.

"Well if that bastard isn't I'd gladly try a mind trick on him." Amilyn said untying the last knot around BB-8. Rey looked to the docking bay as she watched ships take off. Amilyn sighed watching Rey wishing she'd see Rey's family appear out of nowhere.

Rey walked on carrying the net with scraps behind her. A speeder was heading straight toward Rey. Amilyn held out her hand and felt the force flow through her as it stopped the speeder.

"Thanks." Said Rey in awe of her.

"You're welcome." Said Amilyn smiling. She helped Rey wash the bits of scraps that were in the net. BB-8 beeped with urgency to at least get going. Amilyn followed Rey to the line for Unkar Plutt. Many scavengers were ahead of them so they talked while they waited.

"These five pieces are worth....let me see here.....ONE QUARTER PORTION." Said Unkar after Rey had put up the scraps. Amilyn fought back a protest growing inside her. The vile man was making people starve.

"Last week they were half a portion." Rey argued. But she was immediately shot down my Unkar's gaze. 

"What about the droid?" He grunted out.

"What about him?" Asked Rey.

"I'll pay for him!" Said Unkar. BB-8 beeped out his dislike to this idea Unkar had. "SIXTY PORTIONS!" Said Unkar as he piled out the portions. Rey looked at them alls turned. Sixty portions could feed her for weeks! But she looked at BB-8 beeping furiously and the disapproving look on Amilyn's face.

"Actually....the droid is not for sale." Rey stuttered out at the beginning of her sentence.

"You will let her take fifteen." Said Amilyn  holding her hand out while she used the force to mind trick him.

"I will allow her fifteen portions." Said Unkar as Rey garbbed the fifteen portions she could. Unkar grunted in anger as the two girls walked away. The droid beeping to them with thousands of questions. Unkar closed the window opening his comlink.

"Follow the girl and get the droid!" Unkar ordered into the comlink.