Chapter 18: Body count

The atmosphere inside the room was heavy. Behind Yvon was his head of security and Luma, with Novy sitting beside him, playing with his fingers. While Hydro was backed up by Silver and Chief Zlato, I was sitting by his side.

Vand was standing in the corner.

I pity my brother. Luma was on Yvon's side. However, I understand why Luma was there. He was not protecting Yvon, but Novy. In all honesty, Luma might not even care for Yvon, but Hydro must be erupting inside right now.

When Hydro returned home from staying with Luma for two days, he had a bluish-to-violet mark under his eyes. It was obvious that he was punched. He also had a slit lip and a deep tooth mark in his arms.

I want to think that Luma and him got heated up in bed, but it was far from happening, at least not now. Hydro was beaten up by Luma, for sure.

"If Mr. Wenfri is not happy, then fifteen percent will do," Yvon said. He was a businessman, but why was he lowering his bid? "Will that do?" I don't understand things like business.

Hydro's eyes were fixed on Luma; it was longing. An alpha was suppressing himself from grabbing the mate he wanted. It added to Hydro's irritation. This action did not escape Yvon's radar. If Hydro continues to be irritated, then it will affect the negotiation.

After whispering to Novy, the omega stood up and talked to Luma in the corner. "I know what you want, Mr. Wenfri, but you can't take something by force. As with the market, please consider it and let us coexist in peace."

"I promised my omega that I wouldn't fight with your family; help me keep my promise."

Hydro was taken aback. He saw how Yvon took care of Novy, but it was still different when you hear an alpha say it for the sake of his omega. There were mixed alpha and omega, but they did not get along well, so it was a surprise that Yvon was listening to his omega.

Yvon was known as the unbeliever of the mated pair and a notorious scumbag.

"Ten percent, no need to bid. Except for you, the drugs will be released by our company. A meeting will be conducted every month for progress, so be sure to come. I won't send you an invitation email."

"This is the best I can do to help you with your promise to your omega." Hydro's eyes followed Luma in the corner and quickly returned to Yvon. You're lucky that you found your mate. Congrats."

That last phrase carried sadness. Maybe Hydro was rejected by Luma. Maybe he doesn't like my brother. Hydro stood up and left the room without shaking Yvon's hand. He did not throw any glance at Luma and directly closed the door.

Chief Zlato and Silver followed him, with Vand walking towards me. It was quiet after. Novy looked at me pouting and mouthing, "Caesium, sorry." He was sorry that Luma did not reciprocate my brother's feelings.

But can we really force Luma? An apology was not needed; it was natural for feelings to be one-sided. "It's okay," I mouthed back.

Yvon took Novy by the waist and left. Luma followed behind them. Before he stepped out, he called me and said, "I'm still your employer," in his most nonchalant voice.

"..."

Ah. Umm... Luma? What the fuck?!!

I slowly turned my head to Vand, and surely the alpha was raising his brow at me. "Care to explain?"

Oh, Luma!!!

"Shall we leave first?" I flashed a forced smile at him and sprinted towards the door, but of course, he has quick reflexes and stopped the door from opening before I could leave!

"Darling, what else are you hiding?" His mouth was close to my ears, and his voice reverberated inside my head, making my limbs weak. "Will you tell me now or?" He bit my nape and added, "Do you want me to force it out of your mouth?"

Can you force it out of my mouth? At least there will be pleasure in it. Anyway, how should I tell him? It was against the rule, but Luma was not careful either!

That guy must have meant that whatever his issue with Hydro, my work and relationship with him were not affected at all. Sigh. I wish he could have just messaged me.

"Fine, I'll tell you, but if you think that I'm evil, then I won't stop you from leaving me." I was fidgeting with my fingers and biting my lips. I was anxious and nervous about what Vand would say or think about me.

"Just say it."

Can you give me time to be dramatic? At least say that you won't leave me? Okay, whatever... If you want to leave, then just leave. I'll chase you anyway.

"Umm, Luma was the head of Swift Wind." I was looking at the floor, not willing to see Vand's reaction. Swift Wind was a famous assassin group in Europe with a pay-first, assassinate-later rule. If you can't pay the whole amount, then there will be no transaction for you.

Swift Wind would kill anyone for money; if anyone wanted to send their kill list to Swift Wind, all they needed to do was drop it in any mailbox. A letter with a bank account on it will be sent back if your list is received.

"Oh."

Oh? That was it?

"What, oh?" I raised my head and saw a smirk on Vand's face. Was he belittling me? I can fight, sir!

"Oh, my darling, is that good? Next time, if you have a mission, bring me with you." What kind of reaction was that? Were you not afraid or disgusted?

"I kill people," I said weakly.

"I kill people too."

"... but I kill people for money."

"I kill people for money too."

"... but some don't even deserve it."

"How did you know that they don't?"

"Because... because..."

"Darling, I said I love you, and that means I love you even if you are a member of Swift Wind or other gangs. So, what's your body count?"

"Uhmm... two?"

"How long have you been working there?"

"Ahh... two?"

"En. My darling, work hard. Do you want me to help you?"

"You're insulting me!"

"Hahaha... let's go home."

A heavy burden was lifted from my chest. I thought I had to keep it from him until I died. Luckily, Vand was okay with it. I should ask Luma for a mission so I can increase my body count. I don't want Vand to laugh at me again!

Vand suggested that we take the emergency stairs rather than the elevator so I could build my stamina. I could last longer, but my alpha wanted me to last even longer! So, he wanted to extract all the juices in my body every night, tsk!

When we reached the ninth floor, our footsteps halted when we heard some gasping and moaning. The emergency stairs were closed, and small voices could echo. It so happens that Vand and I were silent after going down from the twelfth floor.

"Stop! Ughh... asshole!"