Plans...

Zahra's pov.
Since after I ran upstairs yesterday, I finally decided to go downstairs and quit my pointless stay in my room. I headed for the kitchen due to the parlor being empty, I stopped by the door when I heard Ammi and Maama talking about me.
"I think you should inform her of how you were threatened by our husband if she doesn't agree to the marriage, even if not for yourself, then for me. I've gotten so used to both you and her and you're now like a sister to me" Ammi said in a concerned tone while holding unto Maama.
"But, she's already troubled, I don't want her to be more worried than she is now".
My curiosity got the better of me, I stepped into the kitchen.
"What did papa threaten to do if I don't get married to...." Only then did I realize that I didn't even know the name of the man I was to marry.
"Muhammad is his name, and you should not worry over what you overheard" Maama said.
"What's the need to hide it from her, just let her know, all of us will get peace of mind and she'll not try neglecting this marriage". Ammi said before turning to me.
"Your Papa said he's never asked anything from you and has always fulfilled his duties as a father to you, if you refuse to agree to marrying Muhammad, he will disown you. And you'll leave his house. While your Maama said she'll join you and leave his house if he does so. And they had an argument yesterday due to this" she then paused and walked closer to me holding my hand.
"Not only you will be unhappy, even your mother, I and your father will all be unhappy if you choose not to obey him".
"Let go of her, let go of my daughter" Maama said tears rolling down her face as she removed Ammi's grip on my hands. All this while I was short of words and I shivered as my brain was trying to process what was going on.
"I told you not to tell her this, I want her to choose what she's comfortable and happy with. Since her father chooses some kind of arrangement over the happiness of his family, why should she neglect her own happiness to fulfill his wish...."
"But it's for the best Sumayya...." Ammi cut her short.
"Is it because she's not your daughter, that's why you don't understand what she's going through" Maama spat.
I could see the hurt in Ammi's eyes, plus I have never seen these two women fight, even though they do, they hide it from us. I could see the anger in Maama's eyes disappearing as guilt took over.
"I'm sorry" she apologised to Ammi who was already sobbing to herself on the floor.
"Thank you for reminding me that I don't have children of my own, for reminding me that the only son I had has passed away....." she looked up to us.
"But Zahra, I want you to know that I've always considered you as mine, and I will never mean any harm to you or Abdallah". She stood up and was about taking the exit when Maama hugged her from behind.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you by saying that, it just slipped out of my mouth".
"Maybe that's what you always thought, that I was pretending to love you and your kids" she said then removed her body from Maama's and scurried upstairs.
I on the other hand fell to the floor crying, my family especially my two mothers have always been used as examples for peace. They marry the same husband but always had positive energy to each other and to us. Papa on the other hand is a caring husband to both of them. He always tries to love both of them equally. Ammi takes care of the both of us as if we were hers and we in turn love and confide in her too. Sometimes, we even feel more comfortable with Ammi than Maama, like concerning things that one will be shy of. She was definitely our second mother. But now, all because of me, my family is so unhappy and divided. The decision is up to me. Their happiness or mine. Should I be selfish or selfless.

******************************
It's noon already, I prayed zuhr then took a shower. I then got ready in a black abaya with a matching veil. I went downstairs. No one was there so I grabbed the door knob.
"Zahra, where are you going" Ya Abdallah said from behind me.
I turned and faced him. He was smiling at me, I never knew a smile could hold so much sadness. He was smiling to encourage everyone around him, but he could not deceive me, I could sense his sadness. This meant he knew everything that was happening.
"I'm meeting someone" I briefly replied.
"Can I talk to you for like 5 minutes"
"Sure"
"It's about your arranged marriage, I'm surprised you're so unhappy about it".
"How can I be happy, I don't even know who I'll marry, he might even be an old man fah"
"No, he's your childhood crush fah"
"I....I can't even remember him"
"I know him, he's a friend of mine, very handsome, young and vibrant. He's Khadijah's elder brother"
"No matter how handsome he is, in my eyes, he won't be as handsome as my Leed".
"No wonder, so you have someone you love. Well, I'll advise you to agree to this arrangement but know that I will support whatever decision you make".
"I've made my final decision, I've accepted Papa's decision. But I will never be happy about this, and Muhammad whatsoever will never enjoy his marriage". I said before abruptly leaving the house. I headed to cilantro.
I spotted Leed immediately I entered. Leed sat restlessly in the dimly lit corner of the restaurant.

*****************************
Third party POV
Waleed sat restlessly in a corner of the dimly lit room. He had called Zahra hhere tonight, his emotions a turbulent storm within him. He scanned the room, searching for her, as the soft murmur of conversations and clinking cutlery enveloped him in a strange, intimate ambiance.

When Arah walked in, Leed's frustration calmed a bit.

She was his secret love, his confidante, and she had refused to meet his eyes lately. Her hair was concealed beneath her veil, her eyes wary as she slid into the chair across from him. She was a vision of modesty, yet her presence stocked fire within him.

"Waleed," Zahra whispered, her voice barely audible over the restaurant's sounds, her modesty contrasting with the tension in the air. "What's so urgent that you had to meet me here?"

Leed's voice cracked as he leaned in, his gaze hard. "Zahra," he began, his voice raised in frustration, "I can't bear the thought of marrying someone else. I have wanted to tell you this but had no courage."
Zahra looked at him confused. So they were in the same situation.
"I want to hire some people to pretend to be my parents.
they can meet yours and we can get married by whatever time your parents deem appropriate."
Zahra looked into his eyes.
"My parents have already chosen a husband for me too".
Waleed immediately realised why she had been in a bad mood.
"We can't let our parents dictate our futures." He said.
Zahra's eyes widened in shock, and she glanced around nervously, urging him to lower his voice. "Waleed, not here," she implored, her face flushed with embarrassment. "We're in a public place."

Waleed paid no heed to her warning, his anger spilling over. "I don't care, Arah! I love you, but you're letting them control your life. It's tearing us apart!. Let's just run away and elope together. We can leave behind this mess and live happily together"

Zahra's eyes welled up with tears, and she pleaded with him, her voice trembling. "Waleed, you know our faith and our families mean everything to us. My father has threatened to disown me if I don't agree to this marriage. I can't bear the thought of losing my family."

Waleed's anger flared, and he slammed his hand on the table, causing nearby diners to glance their way. "But, Arah," he shouted using the pet name he gave her, frustration and despair mingling in his voice, "we can't let them decide our fate. We can elope, start our life together, away from their control."

Zarah recoiled, shocked by his outburst. She glanced around the restaurant, mortified by the scene he was causing. "Leed, please lower your voice," she implored, her face flushed with embarrassment. "We can't do this here."

Waleed's anger began to rise, he just can't understand why she would not go with him. She has already accepted to become someone else's woman. Someone's wife. For the first time, he doubted her love for him.
"Quit making excuses, just say you love him more than me, or you don't love me anymore. Perhaps you never loved me.

Zarah reached out to him, her eyes teary, voice trembling. "Leed, I'm not making excuses," she said softly. "I love you, but our family mean the world to us. We can't just run away from them."

Waleed shook his head, his anger unabated. He pushed back from the table, his chair scraping loudly against the floor. "I can't understand you, Zarah," he muttered, bitterness lacing his words. "I can't stay here and watch you surrender to this."

With that, Waleed stormed out of the restaurant, his heart heavy with anger and confusion. He couldn't fathom how Zarah could prioritize her family's wishes over their love. As he walked away, he felt a profound sense of betrayal, unable to comprehend the complex web of obligations that kept them apart.
WHY would she agree to that, he thought.

******************************
Thanks for reading 😊.