-28: The Blood Moon Calling-

Zero ran through the town, luckily it's the one he visited. He managed to escape Nils for now. The key was actually a key to the window, which had worked out better for him. Zero ran through the town at night, the sound of cobblestones echoing with each step he took. Zero pulled himself into a shop, shutting the door and sighing in relief. Free. The shop was filled in items for magic and such, covered in inches of dust. It looked like nobody really used it anymore. Zero groaned, unable to shake a terrible feeling. A floorboard creaked, Zero turning to the door. Don't let it be Nils, anyone but Nils. Glass was flung through the air as something crashed through the window. It definitely wasn't Nils. It landed with a thud on the floor. Zero shrieked, stumbling back, clinging onto the doorframe. Maybe Nils actually would have been better than this. A creature crouched on all fours before him. Bloodshot eyes peered through a filthy fringe as its fingers dug grooves into the floor. WHAT IS THAT THING!? IS IT EVEN HUMAN!? Dark liquid covered its hands and lips; blood. The creature whirled around, its bloodied hands curled into claws. Zero's pulse thumped in his ears. Zero grabbed a stool for a shield, moving towards the broken window.
"G-Get away!" The entity yelled.
Why'd Glitch have to delete his weapons!? With an inhuman speed, the creature ripped the stool from his hands, throwing it against the wall. It splintered into pieces.
"Fuck..." Zero winced," Don't come any closer!"
The creature snarled, eyes fixated upon Zero's neck. It crouched, preparing to leap.
"No-!"
Zero's legs gave out, falling to the ground with a shiver.

Suddenly, a blinding white light filled the room. The creature howled in agony, trying to hide its eyes from the glare. Zero squinted through watering eyes as the creature leapt back out the broken window; the light started to fade. As his eyes adjusted, he recognised a man standing there, cloaked in white and gold; with hair like the sun.
"Are you alright!?" The male gasped, rushing over.
His hands fluttered over Zero's shoulders, concern etched in his brow," Are you injured?"
"I'm- fine..." Zero gasped," Who...who are you-?"
The male stared at him surprised, before smiling gently," I'm a priest. My name is Raoul. Do you need some water?"
Raoul took out a flask, and opened it, pressing it to Zero.
"Please, drink as much as you need."
His kindness was as refreshing as the water. Zero took a few sips, it was cold and relieving.
"Thank you, Raoul."
"Please, there's no need for thanks. I'm only glad I got here in time before it hurt you."
Zero recalled the creature, shivering. Those must be what Ash was talking about. Zero felt a shiver of guilt, they existed because of him.

 Zero felt a shiver of guilt, they existed because of him

Zero looked around at the glass on the floor.
"Raoul, do you know what's going on? With the person?" Zero frowned," He looked...almost...human..."
Raoul squeezed Zero's hands, taking a deep breath.
"There's a mysterious illness that's spreading through town," Raoul spoke, so clearly humans were the only ones unaware," It's driving people mad. People are falling victim to a scourge when night falls. It transforms them into savage, mindless beasts. They attack indiscriminately and can't stand sunlight or any type of bright light. That's why I used a beacon spell to scare it away. I've been performing last rites for a while now. No one has recovered, and more have died."
Dread curled in Zero's stomach.
"Nobody's recovered? Not a single person?"
"None."
A furious knock on the door startled both.
"Brother Raoul? Are you there?"
"I'm here!" Raoul called out," Just a moment."
Raoul helped Zero to his feet, smiling, softly.
"Brother Raoul! There's another victim! Doctor Cassius urges you to hurry!"
Raoul sighed, turning to Zero and staring at the entity firmly.
"I need you to stay indoors. Lock the doors, barricade the windows. Can you do that?"
Zero bit his lip, too aware of the darkness of the empty shop.
"What if the creature comes back?"
Raoul thought for a moment," I can send a priest to guard you?"
Zero shook his head," I trust you, Raoul."
Raoul stared at Zero intently before taking a deep breath.
"Very well. You can accompany me. But if I sense any danger, please, you must leave. There's much we do not know about this scourge."
"I promise, I'll be careful, Raoul."
Raoul's lips curved into a smile," I know you will. Let's go."