Chapter Forty-Nine

"You're going

"You're going."

"In case you've gone deaf in the last five seconds, I said that I don't want to fucking go," Wren annunciates spectacularly to me as we're getting dressed. She's aggressively slipping on her pink long-sleeved shimmery dress.

I watch her over my shoulder. "It's a New Year's party, Wren, and Henry asked if we would come as a family."

The spot between Wren's eyebrows twitch. "So then, why are we going...?" She trails off with a question.

Giving her a pointed look, I flick the middle of her forehead. "Hey, don't start shit with me, Wren. Henry's an innocent bystander in this shit, he's trying." She glances at me through the mirror. "And that's more than any parent has ever done for us."

She releases a harsh breath through her nose. "Fine."

I busy myself with the long sleeves of my black backless top. "Besides, your friends are going to be there.

She folds her arms over her chest. "How would you know that?"

I scrunch my nose at her. "Because Henry told me."

"Of course he did," she mutters, running a hand through her artfully messy hair. She catches my eye in the mirror, pausing her hands. "Did he say which friends were going to be there?" She asks, quickly going back to fluffing her hair out.

A slow, almost creepy smile appears on my face. "No," I answer inconspicuously, blanking my face when she turns to face me, "He just said your friends from school."

Her eyes focus on a random spot on the carpet for a second too long before she shrugs. "Whatever."

"Girls! We need to leave in the next five minutes!" Henry calls from downstairs. He's probably been ready to go for the last half an hour or so. Mom is still locked away in their room getting ready.

Last I saw, Dove was downstairs watching a television show quietly on the couch in order to not dirty her pretty dress. She spent fifteen minutes modeling it for Wren and me when we got home from the mall.

I lean my head out of the bedroom and yell, "We'll be ready in two!" I look back at Wren who's fixing her eyeliner. "Will you be ready in two?" I ask, realizing this question should have been answered before I told Henry.

She twists around in the vanity chair and faces me. "Do I look slutty?" she asks.

Her tone is so casual, I find myself blinking in response. Okay, think about how you want to answer this question, Perrie. I tilt my head. "Is looking slutty what you're going for?" The question comes out slowly and cautiously.

Her lips purse the slightest amount. "Wouldn't be a bad thing."

Huh. Little sister is clearly not so little anymore. I nod absentmindedly. "Then you look adorable," I say in a baby voice, pinching her cheeks for good measure.