Chapter Forty-Three

A soft chuckle escapes my lips when Jonah scribbles another drawing into his notebook

A soft chuckle escapes my lips when Jonah scribbles another drawing into his notebook. I snort, covering my face with the palm of my hand.

We're sitting in our Monday morning class together, counting the seconds until it ends. We only have one more class with her at the end of this week before school is closed for Christmas break.

My last two final exams are on Thursday and Friday and after that, I'll be home for Christmas until next semester starts. Yay.

Professor Stewart drones on a little longer, trying to get every bit of knowledge in our heads before the final on Friday. I write down notes, much to the annoyance of Jonah, who's discovered the art of drawing a stick woman with boobs. Boys.

He shoves his notebook toward me but before I have a chance to even look at the paper, a hand slams down on the notebook. My heart leaps into my throat and I freeze. From the corner of my eye, Jonah slides his pen under the table, a cringe on his face.

Professor Stewart stares down at the notebook. Fuck. "Miss Lancaster?" she asks curiously, her voice lilting. "I have to say, the detail is impeccable."

"Fucking hell," I murmur, bowing my head toward the table.

"That's about right," she murmurs, her finger gliding across the page. The rest of the students talk amongst themselves so at least I don't have to deal with an audience. "Miss Lancaster," she begins and my body deflates further at the tone in her voice, "I'm curious to know, why are you here?"

The question throws me off. Slowly, I glance up at her, confusion marring my face. "Ma'am?"

She taps the page of doodles one more time before folding her arms across her chest. "What are you doing here? This final is a few days away and yet here you are, messing around in class when I am teaching vital information," she informs me and I shrink further into my seat.

Jonah clears his throat, quietly raising a hand. "Ma'am, it's not Perrie's fault, I'm the one—."

She clicks her tongue, cutting off his sentence. "I know who did the drawing, Mr. Friedman, I'm not an idiot," she says in an exasperated tone. "However, Miss Lancaster continuously finds herself in situations where she is hindering her own education." Professor Stewart slides the notebook back over to Jonah's spot. "If you continue to behave this way, you will fail. It may not be this class or this college, but it will catch up to you."

A phone alarm goes off in the front of the room, dismissing the class. I don't move from my seat, nor do I grab my bag and start to pack my things away.

Professor Stewart glances toward the rest of the class. "Good luck with your final, study hard." She turns to me once more, tapping her pointer finger on the table again. "For your sake and mine, Miss Lancaster, I hope you pass."

With that encouraging sendoff, she walks back down the steps to her desk and switches off the alarm before taking a seat. The rest of the students pack their things and leave the class, nervous chatter fills the space regarding our final.