42 ~ Notebook

"How is he?"

"How is he?"

Rina was waiting for Kai the second he came out of the infirmary, her hands clasped together in concern.

Kai's head was hung low, the notebook gripped loosely in a hand that dangled helplessly by his side. His somber expression answered Rina before his words could.

She sighed sadly and started fidgeting with her fingers, staring at them mindlessly.

Under any different context, Rina would probably be the second most frequent visitor to her comatose best friend, but she couldn't bring herself to look at Y/n even once more.

Like a wildfire in a forest, guilt spread around Rina's chest relentlessly. The only thing she could think about was what she wish she would have done instead of get drunk while Y/n was getting kidnapped.

Regret, guilt and shame was all she knew.

Kai knew her better than anybody, so it was obvious to him why she refused to see Y/n, despite her being one of the most important people in her life.

He breathed out quietly and slowly pulled her into his warm embrace, one hand on her back with the other to her hair. It didn't take long for her to return the hug, clinging tightly to his waist.

"It wasn't your fault, Rina."

Kai said softly, resting his chin on top of her head and stroking her hair gently. As he anticipated, it didn't take long for her back to start shaking with the sobs he coaxed out of her.

"If- I wasn't- so st- upid, none- of this wou-would have happened!"

She wailed against his chest, the words seeming to enduce tear-production in her eyes. Kai knew his shirt would be drenched by the time she felt better.

Nevertheless, he continued to run his hand over her hair soothingly, listening to her rants silently until she was finished. The extra time it took for Rina to calm down brought the realisation to Kai that she wasn't only upset about feeling guilty, but she must have also been feeling terrible for her friend practically being on her death bed.

This only worsened the sympathy he felt for her, and he hugged her a little tighter, pressing his cheek against the top of her head in the process.

The two of them stood like that for a while, neither of them saying anything after Rina had let all her feelings out into the open. Her racking sobs slowly died down to occasional sniffles, the time interval between them growing satisfyingly - for Kai, at least.

When he was sure she was fine, he released her from the hug, bending down to her eye level with his hands resting on her shoulders. He looked kindly into her puffy, glossy eyes, and brushed a strand of hair away from her face with a single finger.

"Don't cry. You look ugly when you cry."

Despite this being an insult, Rina laughed a little, the sound coming out strangely, due to the fact she had just lost at least ten percent of her body's hydration.

Before Kai straightened back up to his normal height, Rina hugged him again, this time around his neck. He was startled at first, but quickly hugged her back.

"Thanks, Kai."

She whispered hoarsely into his ear, unable to care less about the fact that she sounded like an old lady. Kai didn't even acknowledge it, focusing more on the new type of hug he had just been introduced to.

Releasing each other, the two of them looked at each other softly, unnoticing of the fallen notebook on the ground beside them.

"Let's wash your face with cold water. Maybe it will get rid of some of the ugliness."

Setting off in the direction of the bathroom, Rina slapped Kai's arm, both of them chuckling lightheartedly.

=

About to walk in to check on Beomgyu again, Taehyun quietly entered the infirmary for the last time that day.

His eyes first searched for the tray of food, finding it a little closer to where Beomgyu was sitting, a little less there than what he had brought earlier. A smile ghosted his features, a friendly weight of relief placing itself in his heart.

It didn't take him long to notice that Beomgyu wasn't awake at all, knocked out completely in his chair, only further relieving Taehyun. He had pulled his knees up to his chest, limply hugging them close to his body.

He went closer to him, seeing his darkened eyes and pale complexion, somehow still looking tired in his slumber. Taehyun pulled a blanket from the unoccupied bed beside him and draped it gently over Beomgyu's sleeping figure. He said a silent thank you to whatever higher power had granted him such a miracle.

Finally, he allowed himself to look at Y/n. His stresses from earlier that day now gone, his mind had space to think about her and her condition.

The quiet realisation crept up in his mind, telling him that he had spent most of the day completely ignoring her existence, fretting over Beomgyu instead.

Her eyes were just as closed as they were the day before, and the day before that, and the day before that, going on for as long as three weeks now. He wanted her to wake up, but he didn't know if it was because of his feelings for her or just basic human concern for another human.

After making sure that Beomgyu was comfortable, Taehyun left the infirmary with a newfound sense of relief in his chest.

About to walk away from the room he just left, something on the ground caught his eye easily. It somehow didn't appear too new to his memory, probably having subconsciously noticed it as he was walking in without properly registering it.

The object was easily noticeable, the dark exterior of it contrasting greatly with the beige coloured carpet that it lay on.

He picked it up and examined it, turning it around in his hands. It was a black, hardcover notebook, with no visible reason as to why it was left on the ground outside the infirmary.

Curiosity nagging at the back of his brain, Taehyun opened the small notebook.

yeah ig cliffhangers are my thing now :P
what do y'all want to happen??

a vote is highly appreciated <33