14 ~ Study

"He can't do that sir

"He can't do that sir."

Heeseung's begging gaze darted from Jungwon to Jay, the one who had abruptly come to Heeseung's indirect protest and spoke against the instructions that Jeongyoo had failed to notice that he was uncomfortable with.

"Jay.."

"What did you just say?"

The leader spoke in a low voice, scaring everyone - except for Jay - at that table more than he would have if he were yelling. Somehow, Jay was unfazed and continued to speak as he glared defiantly at Jeongyoo.

"He's clearly uncomfortable with it. We all are."

He motioned to the rest of his members with his hands, beginning to raise his voice a little, showing how strong his opinion on how far they'd go for their job was. Heeseung - who genuinely feared Jeongyoo losing his cool and attacking Jay - was staring at his eyes, trying to catch his gaze and send a signal through his eyes that it wasn't necessary and that he cared too much about him to let him get hurt over his own fear of saying no to Jeongyoo.

It was fruitless, as Jay's eyes were trained on Jeongyoo's and showed no sign of looking away any time soon.

"We might commit crimes and hurt people, but we agreed with TXT that we'd let Y/n stay with them as soon as she came of age. They literally waited years to fulfill their promise to Hwayoung."

Jeongyoo's icy gaze froze.

The mention of his late wife's name caused his anger to completely boil over. Everyone at the table noticed how his gaze darkened and he clenched his jaw painfully tightly, including Jay. His fearlessness wavered and it was clear, but he didn't tear his stare away from Jeongyoo.

He was in too deep.

"How dare you say her name..."

Jeongyoo's tone was deeper yet. The tension at the table was thicker than a machete would be able to cut through. Sunghoon - who was seated next to Jay - readied his arm to reach out if anyone made any sudden movements.

"Do you value your life at all, Mister Park?"

Jay was regretting his decisions and decided that an outspoken approach was definitely not the way to go. Heeseung - and everyone else at the table - was praying that Jeongyoo's mercy would have space for Jay as well.

"I-I just think we should take a different approach."

The man didn't seem to care as he suddenly stood up and marched over to Jay, his footsteps booming around the small room. Sunghoon and Jay instinctively stood up, pushing their chairs back noisily across the floor. Sunghoon stood protectively in front of Jay, keeping him behind his body with his right arm.

Jeongyoo - being a large man - easily pushed Sunghoon aside and held Jay by his collar. As if on cue, everyone else at the table stood up. The angry man whispered while burning Jay's pupils with his dangerous stare.