49. Torment

The train car rattled back and forth as it sped through the tunnel, forcing Katsuki's body to sway slightly despite his strong stance and firm grip on the handrail. He, Kuri, and the two bozos stood in a cluster near the door of the half-full compartment, heading to their first day of work since the sports festival.

That damn rigged competition...

For the second year in a row, he received fourth place overall. Shoto, who was standing next to him on the train while scrolling on his phone, got sixth place. That made him feel a little less shitty. But the worst tragedy of the day overshadowed any joy he got from being better than Shoto: Deku got first fucking place.

Katsuki had tried to make peace with this fact over the past few days, reminding himself that the sports festival was a poor measure of ability and that he was still better than Deku. Unfortunately, whatever words he used to console himself didn't stop Katsuki from feeling like shit for losing to his rival.

However, Kuri hadn't expressed discontentment at receiving fifth place. She probably would have been happy regardless of how well she scored because Kuri was the kind of person to be pleased as long as she had fun. Katsuki could stand to learn that from her because others often complained about his over-competitive tendencies.

All four of them were on their way to Endeavor Agency with renewed work study contracts, prepared to spend another year working together. The sports festival hadn't changed the status quo, but it gave Deku and Shoto the false perception that the four of them were a tight-knit friend group. Well, Kuri seemed to be going along with the friend stuff, too...

The train slowed as it reached the next stop, where they would disembark and walk the rest of the way to the agency.

Whatever, Kuri is the only one I actually care about. Maybe if we put in more effort at work, we can get a promotion and leave Deku in the dust.

The train stopped, then Katsuki took Kuri's hand, since she was distracted playing phone games, and sauntered through the open doors onto the platform with her. The other two followed as they navigated out of the station.

"So, none of you chose to find a new place?" Shoto suddenly asked from behind Katsuki.

"Well, we couldn't just leave you behind!" Deku insisted.

"And your dad is the number one hero," Katsuki added, talking over his shoulder. "Why wouldn't we stay at Endeavor's? Sure, he's a shitty person, but he'll be a good connection after graduation."

"I'm here because you three make work fun," Kuri smiled, having just stashed her phone. She squeezed Katuski's hand once before letting go to pay for the train fare. "Plus, getting a new job is a lot of work."

Katsuki and Kuri had discussed the prospect of changing agencies, but neither had any tantalizing offers. Kuri had expressed some interest in working with Mirko due to their similar quirks, but Mirko wasn't offering work studies, so that idea was a bust. Plus, since Kuri was dispassionate about heroism, she said she had no incentive to find an agency better suited to her needs. Katsuki supported her decision to stay at Endeavor's, especially because it meant they would stick together.

Little did they know that switching to a different agency might have been the better course of action for Kuri. Had she found another agency—one that took on lower-profile cases—she might have been spared a great deal of distress.

Several ordinary weeks passed, during which their team stopped robberies, apprehended escaped prisoners, and the like. Life was good; Katsuki went to school, excelled in his work study, then went on dates with Kuri on their days off. In spite of their impending graduation and no plans on how to continue their relationship, they were happy. All was moving suspiciously smoothly, so it was only inevitable that a single emergency meeting would throw a wrench into things.