44. Rainy Day

The rain beat down on Katsuki's shoulders, and puddles splashed around him each time his boots hit the pavement. It was cold and slippery and not a fun day to be out patrolling. It was also a disappointing Valentine's Day.

For the first time, Katsuki had been looking forward to Valentine's Day. He actually had someone he cared about, so—though Katsuki wouldn't readily admit it—he was slightly excited. Katsuki used to be indifferent about romance, but now that he had a girlfriend, he had expected his first Valentine's Day with her to be a bit special. Instead, they had to go to their work study in the rain. At the very least, they were together.

Katsuki glanced at Kuri through the hood of his clear oversized poncho. She frowned as she used the sleeve of her hero costume to wipe her glasses. The incessant raindrops against the bright orange plastic were undoubtedly annoying her. Kuri pulled the hood of her poncho further down to shield her eyes and caught Katsuki staring.

"What a lovely date, am I right?" Kuri asked, laughing dryly. "I can't believe the agency still expects criminals to be out when it's pouring."

"It's lucky that we're work partners," Katsuki remarked. "Otherwise, we might've spent this day apart."

Kuri nodded, acknowledging that it could be worse, then sighed.

"I still hope the rain will let up soon." They both peered up at the raging storm clouds overhead. "When do you think it'll stop?"

"Probably in a few hours," Katsuki shrugged. Kuri groaned and clutched her arms, probably trying to retain what little body heat she had left after spending an hour and a half outside. "So much for a romantic day..." Katsuki muttered.

Kuri hummed in agreement, and they walked without speaking for a while. Katsuki couldn't wait for their shift to be over. Only thirty more minutes left on their patrol route...

"Hey, what do you want as a gift for Valentine's?" Kuri suddenly asked.

"Whatever you can manage to put together once we get home, I guess," Katsuki replied. "Because you won't have much free time left when we get back."

"Oh, right," Kuri sighed resignedly. They strode along in relative silence—the only sound was the rain striking rooftops and the road they walked on. "I guess I won't have time to fix up something homemade. You'll have to either take from my snack stash or ask me for something later."

"What kind of something?"

"Like a date," Kuri grinned.

"Then, I'll take that."

During the week leading up to this surprisingly weak day, Katsuki had daydreamed about different date scenarios to celebrate the holiday (yes, he knows that's embarrassing, no need to remind him). He knew they'd be working in the afternoon, but maybe Endeavor would let them out early, and they could swing by somewhere fun. But, no, Endeavor Agency functioned as if there were nothing special about February fourteenth, so Katsuki and Kuri had to trudge through the drenched city in search of nonexistent criminals.

"Do you have any suggestions for what to do on this date?" Kuri asked. "I'm cool with anything except study dates because we've had more than enough of those."

"Well, it is the easiest to do," Katsuki shrugged. "No need to leave the dorms."

"But we haven't had a real date since December. Don't you wanna go out and do something exciting instead of quizzing each other on history?"

"Yeah..." Katsuki said, recalling some of the date ideas he'd thought of recently, thinking he could bounce some off of Kuri to see which ones she liked.