39. Rumors

With arms linked together to form a long chain, the cast bowed in unison. As Kuri's head rose, she gazed upon the sea of faces cloaked in darkness. The stage lights were blinding and hot enough to draw sweat to Kuri's temples, but the applause serenaded her. As the curtains pulled shut, Kuri smiled. The play was better than she could have hoped.

Their view of the crowd was finally obscured with a click and the soft whoosh of the heavy curtain fabric falling into place. The cast all unlinked arms, and some of them hurried backstage to get a start on removing their mics. Kuri, Katsuki, Tsu, and Fumikage remained on the stage.

"Congratulations, you two," Fumikage said. "That was quite unexpected."

"Yeah, a public confession is pretty gutsy. But you succeeded!" Tsu smiled.

"Thanks," Kuri giggled awkwardly. Katsuki silently nodded. Kuri felt a bit tense now that the love showcase was over, like she wasn't sure what to do with herself. Should she hold Katsuki's hand? But her palms were so sweaty... And he looked as nervous as her.

"I was worried for a bit that you would confuse the audience, but you managed to circle back to the script in the end," Tsu said, shrugging. Katsuki mumbled a sheepish apology.

"Hah, yeah, sorry. Hopefully, the audience didn't mind..." Kuri said, grimacing at herself.

With the adrenaline starting to wear off, Kuri was suddenly aware of the craziness of what she had just done. It was one thing to talk big for a month and constantly tease Katsuki into confessing, but now they were suddenly dating and even kissed—on stage! And their mics were on the whole time, so the audience definitely heard them saying all those cringey things. She held a hand against her cheek, her skin hot enough to cook her fingers.

The four drifted backstage, and Kuri walked beside Katsuki, their hands softly brushing against each other. She glanced at him bashfully, taking in his broad shoulders and muscles cloaked beneath his light-colored suit. Her eyes drifted further up to his strong jaw, sharp eyes, and soft hair styled to be flatter than usual. He was her boyfriend now. No longer just a friend or crush. The change had occurred so quickly that Kuri hadn't fully processed it yet.

Katsuki caught her staring, and she grinned shyly.

"So, I guess we're dating now?" Kuri asked. Katsuki stared at her for a moment with glittering eyes before he slowly smiled.

"Looks like it," he said. "Unless what you said up there was just an act."

"It wasn't, so we're good," Kuri laughed. "You sure surprised me, though. Why not wait until the play was over?"

"I just... couldn't stop myself," Katsuki replied, looking at her fondly. Then, his head tilted away, and slowly his face filled with horror, eyes widening. Katsuki put a hand against his temple as he stared off at nothing in particular. "I can't believe I did that on stage."

"Me neither," Kuri said. "You're crazy for that."

"What the hell is wrong with me today?" he shook his head and looked down shamefully. Kuri suppressed a giggle. Katsuki was getting all concerned over nothing. He glanced at her again. "Sorry."

"Don't be sorry," Kuri linked arms with him and smiled. "I'm glad you did it."

Katsuki's expression tentatively melted into a grin.

"If that's how you feel, Bunny, then so am I."

"I just hope the others don't mind," Kuri said. "We did kinda interrupt everything."

"I don't think you two need to worry that much," Tsu remarked, opening the door to the backstage area. "I'm sure no one will mind. But if you plan to say sorry, might as well do it now."