25. Encounter

Fashion had never been Kuri's strong suit. She was fascinated by those who could dress well, and she desired to do so as well, but she always failed. Well, more like she gave up. That was certainly one of her weaknesses: the inability to persevere. But Kuri's most relevant weakness at the moment was her indecisiveness.

Several weeks ago, they had been briefed on the "special investigation". Since the briefing, the four of them at Endeavor Agency had done extensive observation and analysis on the patterns of their targets using security footage. For example, Kuri and Bakugo had to memorize the typical stores the vigilantes frequented, how long they would stay in said stores, and which stores they went to most often. The four of them even went to the mall on a weekday to familiarize themselves with the layout and find potential places to arrest the pair. Also, there was one week where the vigilantes didn't show up at the mall, which, of course, caused chaos at the agency. Luckily, they showed up again the next week, so the previous week was overlooked. However, it was decided that the operation would have to occur as soon as possible.

Now, there she was, frantically scurrying around her room, trying to decide what to wear for the mission that she was going on that day. Ever since Endeavor had made that joke about a date, Kuri couldn't get it out of her mind. Should she dress up a bit? Or prioritize ease and mobility? Those were the questions that had plagued her as she tried to decide on her clothing.

She glanced at her alarm clock. It was nearly nine; she only had a few minutes left.

Despite her worrying and indecisiveness, Kuri did already have most of her outfit on. She was wearing a cropped black tank top and pleated beige skirt, which was a bit of an unflattering shade but had nice pockets. She was wearing her normal socks and planned to wear her regular sneakers.

Laying before her on her bed was a lavender-colored sweatshirt and a thin, dark blue cardigan with a star pattern on it. Kuri adored both of the articles of clothing, especially the cute cardigan. But, as much as she wanted to wear it, she knew that the sweatshirt was a better idea. Plus, Kuri had no idea if she'd have to engage in combat or not, and she didn't want to dirty the cardigan. Reluctantly, she slipped on the sweatshirt and zipped it up halfway. Then, she turned to the mirror above her dresser.

Her wavy brown hair was getting long; it had been months since she last cut it. Though that meant she had plenty of split ends, she was usually better off not cutting her hair since she always wanted to chop it all off. Maybe later, she could enlist Mina's help and get an undercut? At the moment, her hair was pulled into a ponytail—her signature look, but she wasn't happy with it.

Taking out her hair tie, she combed through her hair with her fingers, then decided to try pigtails. She didn't style her hair as such after she'd been teased about it once, but screw that kid who made fun of her! Kuri could do what she wanted, and she wanted to have pigtails. Noticing that her bangs were being particularly unruly that day, Kuri grabbed her bunny hair clip to secure them to the side.

Kuri studied her reflection, trying to decide if she was satisfied with her look. Before she could backtrack and redo her hair, there were three loud knocks on the door.

"Hop to it, Bunny!" Bakugo shouted. Kuri looked at the clock. Five after nine. "We gotta go!"

"Coming!" Kuri replied. She hurriedly grabbed her backpack and phone, then checked the mirror one last time before rushing to open the door. "Sorry for taking so long."

Bakugo was wearing a white t-shirt and black jeans. Kuri suddenly felt self-conscious about her outfit, thinking that the skirt was too dressy compared to Bakugo's clothes.

"Pigtails?" he snickered. Kuri lowered her eyes gloomily and reached to remove her hair ties. Looks like she wouldn't be wearing them after all...

"They look stupid, don't they—"