20. Visitors

Pink cherry blossom petals flying through the air was the cliche sign that it was a new school year. However, the start of a new year hadn't caused things to change much.

They had moved up to 2-A, with all the same people in their class, minus Mineta, who had been expelled. No one knew his current whereabouts.

And Aizawa was still their teacher somehow. He seemed upset about it. On the first day of the new term, he didn't even say anything. He just slept.

When Bakugo had walked home with Nakano after the first day of school, they had taken a path lined with the trees in full bloom. Nakano had broken a small branch off one of the trees and waved it around like a wand. She also had a tissue stuck up her nose to keep from sneezing as she spread the pollen around. She had looked like an idiot.

But he was being an idiot too.

After all, he still had that coin that she'd given him back in January. For whatever reason, he'd kept it, and now it sat on his desk in his dorm. From time to time, he'd twirl it around in his hand, just thinking about stuff. Thinking about Nakano.

Ever since he found out about her feelings for him, it'd been hard to get her out of his head. He'd even had a weird-ass dream involving her.

In the dream, he'd been in the dorm's common room, and Nakano had been there, wearing pajamas. But whenever he tried to go up to her, she'd disappear and reappear somewhere else. They played this game of chase until he ended up on the roof of the building. Nakano was standing there, eating a slice of toast. Then, she walked over, grabbing him by the wrist, and brought him to the edge of the roof. The ground below had been replaced by a vast calm ocean.

Nakano sat down on the roof's ledge, so he joined her. She gave him half of her toast, and they stayed there for a while, just eating and watching the waves.

"Do you understand yet?" she'd asked, turning to him with a smile.

"Understand what?"

"You know that I like you, right?"

"Yes..."

"And how do you feel?" she'd asked. But before Bakugo could answer, he woke up.

-----

Kuri lay in her bed, wrapped in her duvet and surrounded by stuffed animals as she caught up on anime.

Watching the first years compete in their part of the sports festival that day hadn't been super exciting. Sure, watching kids fight each other was entertaining, but she'd had to sit there for hours on end. Plus, she'd never enjoyed watching sports. Even when her dad would watch the sports festival back home, Kuri only popped in to watch for a few minutes at a time.

Oh, yeah, my family.

Kuri had mostly forgotten about them. She only texted her parents a couple times a month, and Mayu rarely replied to her messages. When he did, all he'd send were memes.

Upon remembering them, she sort of missed them. She missed her house and its comforting scent. She missed her cats. She missed all the books that she'd left at home. She missed being at home because that was where she could be weird without anyone seeing her. She missed her old friends. When was the last time she'd contacted them?

She longed for her real home. She didn't belong in Japan. She needed to be in California, where her real life was. As much as she liked her new friends, a part of her couldn't wait to leave.

Suddenly, she got a notification. It was a text from her mom.

"Go check outside," it read. Kuri's breath hitched. Could it be...?