48. Another Sports Festival

Being the first to step onto the field for the UA sports festival sure had its appeal. The audience would be on the edge of their seats, cheering fanatically for whichever showboating teenagers would come prancing out, and said students could make their first impression on the scouts from hero agencies. The benefit of arriving first had more to do with the detriment of going last; by the time Present Mic announced Class E, the audience was practically asleep. At least, Kuri was bored.

Class 3-A had the privilege of walking out first, and while Kuri waited alongside her classmates for everyone else to get on the field, she realized that it was a gratingly slow process. All she could do was stand around and let her mind wander while she waited for her second but last-ever sports festival to start.

The year before had been astounding because she both teamed up with Katsuki and landed a work study at Endeavor's, so she hoped to make this year count as well. Even if she wasn't interested in new work study offers or making a name for herself as a future hero, Kuri still looked forward to this chance to have fun with her friends!

Kuri glanced at Katsuki, standing beside her with his arms crossed. He looked lost in thought, wearing a focused frown that indicated he was plotting how to win. Katsuki probably wanted redemption after last year. Kuri nudged him with her elbow, and he looked at her, his expression immediately softening.

"Hey, Katsuki, do you think I could win again this year?" Kuri asked with a grin.

"Not if I do," Katsuki replied with a smile.

"Oh, wow, you're gonna snatch the first-place title right from your girlfriend's hands?" Kuri acted offended, placing a palm to her chest.

"It's not like I'll be snatching anything when I win fair and square," he shrugged. "Anyway, we're one-for-one right now, so whoever gets first this year will be the ultimate champion."

"What? So we're actually going to try hard for this? I was kidding," Kuri chuckled. "I'm not even aiming for the top three."

Last year was a fluke. Sure, she got first after competing in fair games, but Kuri never felt she deserved to win. Someone as dispassionate about heroism as her shouldn't be a symbol of the next generation of UA alumni.

"Why? It's not like you couldn't win again," Katsuki said, glancing at her. He spotted a stray hair that had fallen from her ponytail and tucked it behind her ear. "Will it motivate you if I say that, between us, whoever places higher gets a kiss from the other person?"

"Sounds like you just want a bet where you win either way," Kuri giggled. "But, I guess I'll have to give it my all if you say that."

Just as she said that, Principal Nezu hopped up the steps to the umpire's stage and stopped in front of a tiny microphone stand.

"Hello, students, faculty, and all those watching the UA sports festival for the third years!" his voice projected throughout the arena, reaching the thousands of excited attendees. Kuri's classmates cheered as well, and the upbeat atmosphere made her smile. "Before the games begin, a student will come and speak to represent the entire class body. Kuri Nakano, please come onstage!"

What?!

Time froze as Kuri's jaw nearly dropped at the sudden utterance of her name. She looked at Katsuki frantically, her eyes wide and body unable to move, and he wordlessly gave her a gentle push on the back. Kuri's feet miraculously unglued themselves from where she stood, and she jogged up to the stage.

As Principal Nezu detached the microphone from its stand and handed it to Kuri, her mind raced as she came up with things to say but kept running into reasons why she did not deserve to speak at all.