26. It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Finals

Bakugo was seething. He'd been completely pathetic. Pathetic and useless.

As that bitch had gone on and on, talking about murdering Nakano's kidnapper to avenge her, Bakugo had been utterly ineffective. He couldn't focus because the mission was totally catching on fire, Nakano was crying, and he had sat there in silence, unable to come to terms with the fact that he was entirely unsure of what to do next.

Bakugo was furious. At those two fucking vigilantes, of course, but also at himself. How could he have let them get away? He was perfectly capable in every way, but he had still fucked up.

When they had reconvened with Deku and Todoroki, Nakano ceased talking, only staring at the ground. As they were escorted back to Endeavor Agency in a police van, none of them spoke. The soul-crushing sound of Nakano's stifled sobs pierced through Bakugo, and it hurt like a bitch.

He hadn't known how to make her feel better. Was there anything he could've done? He didn't know. But he wished he had done something.

Upon their return to the agency, Bakugo had explained to Endeavor everything that happened during the mission to spare Nakano the ordeal of doing so. Mercifully, Endeavor let them go back home early that day. Nakano didn't speak to anyone for the rest of the day.

After the whole fiasco, Bakugo had expected that the investigation would be passed to a different team considering the vigilantes knew about the case. It was not, but leads in the case ground to a halt because the vigilantes made no more public appearances, and there were no more murders attributed to them. The head investigator decided that the case would be put off until further notice, so the four of them returned to regular agency activities, such as patrolling and stopping petty criminals.

Bakugo wasn't sure if he hated or was relieved that the case was being put off. He desperately wanted to catch those vigilantes and beat them the fuck up for upsetting Nakano, but it also seemed like Nakano wanted to do anything except think about those two.

This brought him to his present dilemma: trying to cheer up Nakano. She had been putting up a front for the past week, trying to appear happy to her friends so they wouldn't be concerned. But Bakugo had noticed those moments when she thought no one was looking. Those dull eyes, gazing into the middle distance, clearly lost in distressing thoughts.

Though he had been there when everything happened, Bakugo felt like he couldn't talk to her about it. Like, how the fuck are you supposed to go up to someone to ask how they feel about being told that they've had an irremovable tracker on them for over a year? Besides, it wasn't his aim to remind her of all that. She seemed to not only want but need a distraction.

They were walking back to the dorms after class that Monday, as usual. It was a hot day, considering it was the beginning of July, but Nakano still had a sweater on. For her arm, he guessed. She wasn't smiling, and it occurred to Bakugo how weird it felt for her to be the visibly unhappy one between the two of them.

He continually glanced at her, thinking of something to say to make her laugh. Something random that she would say to him.

Fuck. I can't think of one damn thing to say...

Nakano was just naturally goofy, and Bakugo was not. Well, Nakano would probably say otherwise, considering how much she laughed at him. He racked his brain for stupid things he'd done and random-ass facts about him. There had to be something he could talk about...

"You know," Bakugo said, earning Nakano's attention. "I still have that coin you gave me." It was a weird and embarrassing thing to admit, but Bakugo hoped it was the kind of dumb shit that would amuse her. He looked at her for some sort of reaction.