47. Sleepover

Kuri stepped into the well-lit, but extremely cramped storage room that Katsuki's mom had led her into, slowly following her almost-mother-in-law through a tall maze of clothing-filled plastic crates. Each box bore a label denoting the year it was from and what article of clothing it was. Kuri's eyes scanned the stacks upon stacks of archived clothes, wondering how they would sort through this mass to find anything for her.

"Here we are!"

Katsuki's mom stopped abruptly and reached to grab a box labeled "nightgowns" from the top of a stack. Kuri awkwardly stood beside her as she kneeled on the floor and began sifting through it. Kuri glanced at the remaining boxes in the stack, also full of pajamas.

"Um, Mrs. Bakugo, would you like me to help?" Kuri asked, pointing at the crates.

"Oh, yes! Thank you, Kuri, that would be great," she grinned. "By the way, just call me Mitsuki. After all, you're close to becoming a part of the family."

Wow, she's way more forward than Katsuki. We just met and are already on a first-name basis. Guess she's the laid-back type.

"Alright," Kuri chuckled shyly and reached to grab another crate. She set it down on the floor across from Mitsuki and opened it, gingerly examining the colorful, satiny contents to determine which ones were her style. "You seem very supportive of Katsuki's decision to date me."

"I sure am!" Mitsuki exclaimed. "I never expected him to attract such a lovely girl, so I'm all for this. He's so arrogant I didn't think he could win over anyone."

Mitsuki laughed to herself, then pulled out a nightgown to hold it up to the light. She squinted at it for a moment, then folded it and placed it on the crate's lid, which was on the floor beside her.

Kuri hummed in thought, both wondering if she should pick out any of the cute nightgowns she spotted and about Mitsuki's statement.

"You know, if someone told me on the day I met Katsuki that we would date in the future, I wouldn't have believed them. Sure, he was handsome and maybe cool, but not friendly and definitely not nice," Kuri said, chuckling as she recalled the time Aizawa forced him to help her study. She selected a rosy pink nightgown with puffy sleeves, placed it next to her, and sighed. "Though, it's not like I wasn't annoying, too, given how I buzzed around him like a fly. I think because I was constantly teasing him and trying to have fun, we ended up connecting, and I realized he wasn't that bad. That's when I fell for him."

"And how long did that take?" Mitsuki asked, refolding a nightgown she'd picked out from the box, then changed her mind about.

"Only a couple months, so not long," Kuri shrugged. She questioned herself in the back of her mind why she was opening up so much to Mitsuki, but something about her demeanor made her feel like an old friend. "Katsuki took a lot longer, though. He apparently figured out his feelings for me that day we caught the vigilantes."

Mitsuki raised her eyebrows, and a smile glinted across her face that belonged more to a nosy teenager than a benignly curious mom. Her expression reminded Kuri of the face Mina made when she wanted to hear some juicy details, which was probably why Kuri felt inclined to share so much.

"So, what exactly happened on that day to make Katsuki against talking about it earlier?"

"Well..." Kuri hesitated. She said earlier that she'd keep their first kiss a secret because Katsuki seemed embarrassed, but now he wasn't here to object. Should she go against his wishes? It's not like he would find out, would he?

Kuri bit her lip as if to scold herself. It wasn't right to break that promise, so she decided against telling the truth. Plus, if Kuri were to actually try and explain the events leading up to the kiss—because Kuri knew she would need to—she would get caught up in her trauma and freeze. Mitsuki didn't need to see all that during their first meeting.